Fox "Piston ring gap really does not matter that much"

Gnfanatic

5 Year Member
Sep 27, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, I got my block honed, it was clean but wanted the bores to be fresh for new rings. Ordered a set of Speed pro E-458K (STD) which is pretty popular for the stock metric pistons. I checked the gap on the compression rings and was shocked that the top rings were at .030 and the second ring was at .026 in all bores. I called up speed pro for some guidance and the tech stated that they make rings loose now and I would not have an issue with that gap? i am very surprised about this and do not feel comfortable using these rings. I verified the box was the correct # on it as well. What you guys think? I have the TRW factory pistons so not sure who else makes rings for them.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know a lot about rings... but, they might know a thing or 2 about rings... especially the ones they make...

I'm sure you could find another manufacturer that will allow you to set a tighter gap, if you decide to do so. Most rings all fall under standard sizes.

How will the engine be used?

Don't know what you have but, on my '93 5.0 factory specs call for a top ring gap of 0.010-0.020 and second ring gap 0.018-0.028. I gapped my top ring just under the high end at 0.018 and the second ring at 0.025. Sounds like your second ring is within tolerances, for a '93 5.0 anyway.

ring gap.JPG