Piston Rings Bad? Need Help.

• Sponsors (?)

lol, do some research on piston rings.
90% of the time, oil in your intake is from the pcv sucking oil up from the lower intake and dumping it in the upper. Happens all the time, and there is yet to be a effcient way to fix the problem...

IndyBlk5.0 said:
lol, do some research on piston rings.
90% of the time, oil in your intake is from the pcv sucking oil up from the lower intake and dumping it in the upper. Happens all the time, and there is yet to be a effcient way to fix the problem...
hmmm, sounds like pretty much what i said on his other thread. :) glad im not too far off track. :)

Blackstang, as i said on your other thread, if it bothers you, a catch can and filter are a good alternative.

i thought you had a fresh block - if so, i would do a compression test (or leakdown test) to see what gives. i might be ticked if my fresh motor burned that much. then again, many new motors do.

was it broken in properly (im getting at having issues with wall glazing)?

good luck.

blackstangt said:
It's brand new from ford racing, 4500 mi, i didn't more than half gas it for 500 mi. I think it's just from the pcv. thanks for the help guys!

A big misconception on breaking in a motor is that your suposed to be real easy on it. Giving it pleny of throttle but keeping the revves down is a better idea, that helps seat the rings.

Do a leakdown check, that will tell you how well your rings and valves are sealing. I did one on my car, failed. I am loosing 50% compression in #6, and over 40% in 4 of the others, and then 30% in 2 and the only one that "passed" was number 3 with 26%. Yes, I have some oil in the intake and I burn some too. About a quart every 700miles.

I saw a guy with a nitroused Lightning at the track. He has a little glass collector on the pcv line. Looks like an inline water collector for an air compressor. It had alot of oil in it too. He said that oil collecting in the intake causes detonation in those Lightnings. Something like that would help out.

You might have ring/cylinder issues causing exsessive blowby. Probably caused by the poor break procedure used. The motor needs semi-high revs with powered decels to seat those rings good.

it's just from the pcv, but I'm not too worried as it is a brand new motor, and I've been tuning it and replacing vac hoses and it's been running better and better. As the person who Installed the entire drivetrain, I would expect only something minor like a bad vac line. The oil just scared me a bit, but i'm glad I got so many people who have the same pcv thing going on. Does anyone know why or when it happens, like would it happen if I am going to higher rpm ranges or more if I am going a constant 2200 on the highway for a half hour...?