Planning on installing H-pipe this weekend

Hauuse96gt

Sep 10, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
I am planning on installing a used MAC h-pipe. I got it a few months ago. Besides tools, what am I going to need? I probably need to buy new gaskets, I need to get the mil eliminators and the extensions, will the stock bolts work or do I need to buy special ones from mac? Anything else?

Thanks,
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

what year is your car... i just got done with my 04... a major obstacle to over come is the factory studs in the exhaust manifold... im specifically talking about the drivers side...
the studs have a spacer/ washer on them... you need to grind this washer down or remove and replace the stud... our gonna need a die grinder with a good bit.
i would recommend having it on a lift for this...

literally once the studs are taen care of the swap is like 30 mins

I ended up paying my muffler shop $75 to put it on. They even said the manifold to midpipe bolts were a bitch getting off.

But you can get the new gasket from autozone. Thats where I got mine. And new bolts and nuts for the midpipe to catback is nice just incase you ever have to take it off again.

I called the local mustang shop and they quoted me 75 bucks. I removed the mid-pipe on my 96gt about 6 years ago and remember it being a pain, but I guess time has allowed me to forget how big of a pain it was. The shop recommends that I buy a tuner, but $399 is so expensive for my unmodded engine. The shop said $600 for a tuner, dyno tune, and midpipe install. Can I buy a cheaper tuner that will do the job until I get more mods? I plan on 4:10s in the near future, and that is it for awhile. The rest of my mods are in my sig.

I want to do all this for under $300 dollars.

I called the local mustang shop and they quoted me 75 bucks. I removed the mid-pipe on my 96gt about 6 years ago and remember it being a pain, but I guess time has allowed me to forget how big of a pain it was. The shop recommends that I buy a tuner, but $399 is so expensive for my unmodded engine. The shop said $600 for a tuner, dyno tune, and midpipe install. Can I buy a cheaper tuner that will do the job until I get more mods? I plan on 4:10s in the near future, and that is it for awhile. The rest of my mods are in my sig.

I want to do all this for under $300 dollars.

Just pay them the 75 to put the pipe on..and then spend the rest on the 4.10 gears..the tune won't be worth it as much as the gears will be in your case...

I have a mac o/r h-pipe me and a buddy put it on our selves I used the same studs on headers my gasket was good and did change all nuts with lock washers. I had no prob since the h-pipe can be seperated to make install easy. I did take to exhuast shop afterwards to check for leaks and do some tak welds. As for the tuner if you dont plan on doing any major mods u can get a superchips tuner for like 150-200 and it adjusts your, octane level, gear settings,and shift points you can also check engine codes. This should keep you around 300 or under.

Hauuse96,
Make sure you spray down the manifold studs with some penetrating oil first. The tricky one is on the passenger side. If you have a medium depth 15 mm your all set. I didn't and had to take a 15mm deep socket and grind about half an inch off. All I had was a craftsman deep and it was just too long. A 12" extension and universal also are needed. A new gasket is really good advice, I didn't do this and now I'll have to go back cause I've got a slight leak at the flange..