Planning to change my own automatic tranmission fluid, any things I need to know b4?

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
I'm going have my tranmission fluid changed maybe tomorrow but I was wondering if any of you know what I need to get before doing so. I believe the 4R70W tranny takes 12.8 quarts of tranmission fluid, so should I buy 13 bottles or 12 bottles? Aside from getting a new tranmission fluid filter, is there anything else that I need to buy?

• Sponsors (?)

Seraphitia102 said:
I'm going have my tranmission fluid changed maybe tomorrow but I was wondering if any of you know what I need to get before doing so. I believe the 4R70W tranny takes 12.8 quarts of tranmission fluid, so should I buy 13 bottles or 12 bottles? Aside from getting a new tranmission fluid filter, is there anything else that I need to buy?

you will not be able too get all of the fluid out unless you bring it too a shop that uses a flusher.

by dropign the pan you will get about 5-6 quarts out. so i would buy seven tops and the filter..

svttech76 said:
you will not be able too get all of the fluid out unless you bring it too a shop that uses a flusher.

by dropign the pan you will get about 5-6 quarts out. so i would buy seven tops and the filter..

I have decided to have Chicane Sport Tuning do my tranmission fluid change, I know they can drain the torque converter as well. So assuming that I go this route, do I need 13 bottles of transmission fluid?

13 quarts will do just fine, but you dont need it, just drop your pan change the filter and fill it with 5 qts of good stuff (mobil1) i wouldnt bother with the extraction its all hype plus you will save some $$$ if you need help im in cali too.

make sure not to overfill it ......it will fry your trans after driving it for awhile!!!dropping the pan and changing the filter and fluid is fine.oh ya and dispose of the fluid properly...

i have Amsoil synthetic tranmission fluid and on their website, it states that it does not have to be changed for 60,000 miles or 3 times your manufacturer's recommended intervals. I know the filter has to be changed evert 15,000 miles. Is it possible to remove the filter without dumping the tranny fluid? If it is possible to remove and replace the filter without dumping the tranmission fluid, do I need to top it off assuming that some leaks out?

juiced_94gt said:
13 quarts will do just fine, but you dont need it, just drop your pan change the filter and fill it with 5 qts of good stuff (mobil1) i wouldnt bother with the extraction its all hype plus you will save some $$$ if you need help im in cali too.
the mobil 1 ATF is not a Mercon V approved ATF. that is what Ford calls for in the 4R70W.

svttech76 said:
as BDcardinal said. ONLY USE MERCON V RATED TRANS FLUID.

and about the filter.. no there is no way of changing the filter without dropping the pan.

do you know if it's safe to leave the filter in there for the duration of the tranmission fluid (since amsoil is an extended drain fluid)?