• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Plastic Intake Durability

  • Thread starter Thread starter todd4566
  • Start date Start date Mar 30, 2004

todd4566

Founding Member
May 24, 2000
1,075
0
36
California
Mar 30, 2004
#1
  • Mar 30, 2004
  • #1
I've being seeing posts lately of people who have been having issues with the plastic lower intake cracking on the 96+ GT's. I have about 30k on my car now, and am starting to wonder if this issue is a matter of WHEN, not IF. It seems the newer GT's are come w/ a aluminum crossover to prevent this issue from occuring, but where does that leave the rest of us.. to chance? I read a warranty recall that seems to have been directed toward the 96-98 cars (i believe), and not the 99+ cars. Are the 99 intakes any better -aside from airflow- to the previous plastic intakes? I no longer have a warranty, and hope I won't need to do any engine work any time soon. Hoping to hear that most of you are not having any issues!
 

BlueMonster65

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2001
385
0
16
Connecticut
Mar 31, 2004
#2
  • Mar 31, 2004
  • #2
as far as i know

if i remember correctly, supposedly ford corrected the problem in 98. only 96 and early 97 plastic manifolds are covered by the recall and it is 7 years or 70k miles, then you on your own. i had a 97 that popped while still under warranty. it was quite a surprise. i believe that your 99 will be ok
 

todd4566

Founding Member
May 24, 2000
1,075
0
36
California
Apr 1, 2004
#3
  • Apr 1, 2004
  • #3
Yeah I've heard the 99+ intakes are changed, but they still have a plastic crossover. C&L and a few other companies have some new lower intakes in the works.. guess if my intake ever blows I can get a metal replacement. Just would like to know that the stocker isn't a total POS
 

LI98GTStang

Founding Member
Jun 22, 2000
1,715
0
36
L.I., NY
Apr 1, 2004
#4
  • Apr 1, 2004
  • #4
todd4566 said:
Yeah I've heard the 99+ intakes are changed, but they still have a plastic crossover. C&L and a few other companies have some new lower intakes in the works.. guess if my intake ever blows I can get a metal replacement. Just would like to know that the stocker isn't a total POS
Click to expand...


Supposedly Ford fixed the problem in '98, but search for the word "cracked" and you will find many '98s that have had the problem recently. As for me, I replaced my all plastic POS for an '02+ with the aluminum crossover. No more worries and some more hp for me. As for the 99+s, I haven't seen anyone complain about any cracking and there are some with quite a few with a lot of miles on them. So maybe the really fixed it in 99, but then why did Ford "redesign" it with the aluminum crossover if they already fixed it.
 
G

geaux

New Member
Sep 5, 2003
49
0
0
Atlanta GA
Apr 1, 2004
#5
  • Apr 1, 2004
  • #5
look on modulardepot. there was someone complaining about a cracked intake on a 99 I believe. It seems that not all the new intakes have the aluminum crossover.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

I
Engine Help requested in identifying how to resolve engine light issue
  • Ianslaney
  • Oct 4, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
76
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 4, 2026
Bullitt347
J
Engine 4.6 Running rough at half throttle
  • jake411
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
203
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 4, 2026
jake411
J
Resolved 1999 cobra removed lower intake manifold to crossovertube
  • hvcobra99
  • Sep 6, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
0
Views
113
SVT Tech Forum Sep 6, 2026
hvcobra99
Strange timing issue
  • 92 Bimini Blue
  • Sep 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
14
Views
315
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 4, 2026
highplace11
H
S
Oil cooler delete 4v 4.6 1999 cobra mustang
  • sami12
  • Feb 24, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
400
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Feb 25, 2026
GOvert
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?