Please help asap - Good deal or bad mojo?Prob w ps pump & brakes

Hi everyone. I'm Treena from Ottawa. So here's the deal ... I am a "mature" lady who previously had her license but let it REALLY expire ... so this time around after having to do all the kiddie graduated driving nonsense I'm getting the damn car I love ! I don't have a kid at home anymore and am single with no need for an ugly and "practical car". Well except for my German Shepherd who's gonna be pissed about my car choice !
I am not a "girly girl". Not afraid to get my hands dirty and work on my car. I have had a little experience working on cars with my ex (ie. replacing manifold in 87" pulsar and the usual stuff like spark plugs and brakes ) but that was a long time ago.
Anyhow, I'm looking at this :

2000 mustang v6 3.8 auto runs good need new power steering pump and could use new brakes has a little bit of surface rust on rear fender
asking $1200 obo
kms 311

I am supposed to go see it tomorrow. All I am getting are one or two word answers by pm from the seller. I even gave a phone number and asked him to call but just pm'd again.
I originally asked if I could have a ppi at my own cost to make sure there were no other major issues .... no reply.
Then I sent a message saying I was serious about buying if he was serious about selling to call me that I was willing to fix brakes & ps pump if they were the only issues .... I got a pm saying "yes it's still available" (wtf ???)
So I sent a message saying can I come see it tomorrow between 3:30 and 4pm ? I got back .... "after dinner" (with no address) Grrrr
I replied that I don't have a car right now and a friend is driving so to try and accomodate his and my friends schedule what specifically is the earliest time he is available and what is the address. That was 8:30 pm last night. No reply !!!
For a guy who is sellingl a car ...he sure doesn't seem like he wants to sell it !

I have tried to do as much research as I can online - because no clear answers from him. I am learning about the ps pump and how that can also affect brakes because of the hydro boost. I am assuming that's the issue because it's too much coincidence that he lists both ps pump and brakes as probs. From what I gather it could be : leaks in the line, shot pump, bad transmission fluid (I learned that much also researching-trans fluid should be used) , clogged reservoir filter, shot hydro boost, shot serpentine belt, and or could possibly need new rack. I am just starting out so I don't know how much the investment in tools for these kinds of jobs would be but I am pretty confident with guidance I could do it.

So my question is ... How the heck do I approach this guy ? What do I ask ? It seems pretty clear that he won't agree to an inspection. Would you consider taking it without an inspection and what would you offer in that case ?? What should I look out for/be wary of ?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks
ps. I know ..it's not the most powerful ... but the budget initially is about $2000. Hope I am not making a mistake ... I do LOVE to let it rip !!! Bit of an adrenaline junkie !

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

If you're dealing with a car that needs work and you can't inspect it, I'd pass. Could need $1000s or dollars to make it reliable, no way to know. Not that hard to find a running v6 New Edge with a $2k budget.

As for the brakes, 3.8s shouldn't have hydroboost brakes; all the images I can find show a typical vacuum brake booster, like so (the black cylinder behind the brake fluid reservoir):

1568032588364.png

The 4.6s are wider, and couldn't fit a vacuum booster, so the hyrdoboost system (which is much more narrow) was used.

So, the brakes and power steering aren't tied together on a V6.

Thanks tsemmet . Still learning and I misunderstood some of what I was reading. thought all the 2000's had it. Thanks for the advice. I am actually having a hard time finding what I want in or close to Ottawa, Ontario ... 95' - 2002' , Red, automatic, budget up to $2000 inc repairs to safety, seller WILLING to allow inspection .
I may have still bought this if the seller allowed inspection but he is being very difficult to work with.
Thanks for being so kind in your explanation. I really want to not only get a mustang but also learn how to work on her. Thanks for not making this newb feel like a dumb a** !

Last edited:
Thanks. This didn't turn into anything anyways. I am stuck with no car right now and my buddy commutes and couldn't wait around Ottawa for a definite maybe from this seller ! I have a short fuse for b.s also. lol
Seriously thinking about getting a cheap and boring non mustang beater just so I can get around. It will also give me something to learn some basic working on engines that doesn't matter if I blow it up ! And give me time to save more for a mustang. Been checking auto trader & Kijjiji

ie... the dreaded soccer mom mobile https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1458903184&requestSource=b
What blows me away is that the insurance on the above would be around $208 /mo and my estimate on a 2000 mustang was around $165 /mo.
Scratching head ??
Or this (way overpriced I think ?) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1458375133&requestSource=b

Keeping in mind I'm in Ottawa, On, Canada ...I am open to any suggestions for any make under $1000 non mustang that's cheap on insurance and a good car to practice repairs on before moving up to a mustang ?? Like I guess I mean a somewhat similar engine style that would be fun to work on? I actually really love working with my hands and figuring out how things work. Also love power tools and worked/learned renos with a buddy but too brutal on the back daily.
So if I'm working on the beater I get and I whip out my monster circular saw or the sledge hammer (joking) ..... you know something has gone tragically wrong. LMAO

Last edited:
Are there a lot of Echos and Yaris's in your area? One of those would make a really good "beater" car. And they sold lots of them, so probably pretty cheap. My daughter had an '03 Echo for years until someone ran into it in 2014. It was a great car and very reliable. The replacement 2010 Yaris sedan has been the same. She's put over 70,000 miles on it in 5 years and it's been as reliable as the Echo. Plus the newer ones have ABS and traction control. The engines and transmissions on these are pretty much all the same until around 2012 or so. Lots of parts available in the wrecking yards, and if course being a Toyota, they're pretty well-built for an inexpensive car.

Check these out:

The Yaris coupe is a bit worn, but brake parts are dirt-cheap and the exhaust, unless it's the manifold gasket, would be a simple fix. Heck, even the exhaust manifold on these is easy to get at, lots of room at the rear of the engine compt!

BTW, hard to go wrong with a good, solid Civic or Accord. Watch out for rough-shifting manual trans, it might be a synchro. My Brother's '02 Civic is like that, although in every other respect it's a great car. 2000-up Corollas are a pretty good choice as well, but they do have good resale so you might not find a "cheep" one.

HTH & G'luck with your vehicle search.........ed

Welcome aboard Treena

am single with no need for an ugly and "practical car".

I'm getting the damn car I love !

95' - 2002' , Red, automatic,

Ya Forgot the word convertible in there, Oh yeah,
Remember you too! can be in debt too just sign on the dotted line
Just kidding, theres is the good deal out there for you just got to find it.
The fact that your willing to work on it is refreshing. A little patience and it can be yours.
Might need a slightly bigger budget.

Beater Yaris!?! Oh the horror. ' Im getting the car I love! Dangit!'

002.jpg

I have a dream! And its about a pretty girl in a red convertible mustang!:D:p:rolleyes::)
I hear German shepherds love convertible mustangs.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users