Please help I am running out of ideas.?.

cas69aus19

Sep 14, 2005
B-town NV
I just recently have had my motor rebuilt 69' 302. It originally had a three bolt dampner on it. They installed a new dampner, but it is a four bolt. I have spent almost two months looking for the right pulleys, and i can't afford the march pulley setup. Because i couldn't afford to have the engine balanced could i replace the four bolt balancer they put on to an original three bolt dampner. IF i do this will it cause problems with the balance of everything.?.

I have checked the junk yard several times, the only pulleys i can find that line up is a water pump pulley that is barely larger than the shaft with two grooves. And a crank pulley with three grooves and is ginormous. This is how awkward they are, the first groove on the wp actually straddles the second groove on the crank..

• Sponsors (?)

Go to AutoZone and get the CORRECT balancer for a 69. It should be 3 bolt, as they didnt go 4-bolt until 1970 or 1971.

Just in case AutoZoo is stupid and gives you another 4-bolter, ask for one from something with a non-hipo 289 in it. That ought to do the trick, unless AutoZone is dumber than I think. crapola

Sounds like somebody screwed up...I'd take that balancer and whack 'em over the head with it!:rlaugh:
HTH
Kyle

When you had it rebuild, did they replace the crank from a 28 to 50 oz imbalance. As stated they make a different balance with the 3 hole and 4 hole already drilled. Ot you could send your original damper to Damper Doctor and get it refurbished.

Tried the serp setup, it won't even come close to lining up, and also the crank and w/p hit each other.

Had the original pulley drilled for a four bolt, with it like that there are three different line ups between the crank, w/p, and alt.

I know they replaced the crank, but i am not sure if they changed the imbalance.?.
I don't have the original dampner any more it was beyond repair.

A/C or non A/C? Either way you could go with a 70 and later 302/351w pulley setup like this one for cheap. This is for an A/C car but even if you don't have A/C you will just have a sheeve on the crank pulley that isn't used. You could always add A/C later :shrug:

One side note: I'm not sure if the water pump depths were the same for 69 and earlier compared to the 70 and later pumps. The coolant inlet hose went from the passenger side in 69 to the drivers side in late 69. If indeed the pump depths are different, then you won't get away with using the 70 and later pulleys without the 70 waterpump. This means you will have to get all of the 70 and later brackets, waterpump, and matching radiator. BUT, 302 brackets are a bit easier to find than 351w brackets.

March has a serpentine set up that had a water pump pulley that has splines so you can use the normal rotation water pump, and tighten the belt with the alternator. It was like $200 or a little less. The aftermarket dampeners come with crank pulley spacers so they line up. Or, you can use a 351w dampener from a mid 80s engine.

Got a good update. Ordered a new dampner from summit. I bought the summit brand because it came with the pulley spacer, and it could be three or four bolt set up. And guess what it lines up like a glove. It is soo nice just having single groove pulleys. Though i am a little dissapointed because i can't us the serp set up. The crank pulley hits the water pump. but at least everything lines up now.