Please Help Identifying 69 Mach 1? (Pics)

Robs69Mach

Jul 19, 2006
Hello all. First time poster here hoping to recieve some help.

I recently purchased what I believe to be a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang from a police auction. All of the interior, dash, and a few other things have Mach 1 on it which led me to think that. Well after reading and researching the vin tag, thing started getting really screwy.

watermark.php

The 65A identifies this car as being a coupe? But this car is definitely a fastback. This Code on this black plate matches the code on the dash:

watermark.php

Like I said before though, this car is definitely a fastback:

watermark.php

The code in the door also also matches the code on the black plate.

Are there any other places that I might be able to find an original VIN number? I am lead to believe that the ones in the pictures have been changed. I am not really up to snuff on my Ford knowledge of where VINS are located because as you can tell:

watermark.php

We are mainly a chevy family.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Rob

• Sponsors (?)

The VIN is also stamped into the left side inner fender on the top flange under the fender lip. I don't think the full wheel covers were available on the Mach 1 but who knows, the original wheels could have been stolen & replaced with steel wheels and full covers? It actually sounds more likely someone tried to conceal a stolen car. Possibly how it found its way into a police auction. Or someone went to a lot of trouble to change a 6cyl coupe to a Mach 1.

The car was a drug seizure at the police auction and the car sat in their impound for 4 years.

We believe the car to be a 302, but then again we aren'y totally 100% sure on that because I dont have the numbers and 302's and the smaller 351's look identical i thought.

RacerX. When you say that the car is stamped on the left lip, do you mean passenger or driver's side? We peeled back the passenger's side fender and cleaned it well with a wire brush and no numbers were to be found.

Thanks for all the replies.

Rob

Its also VERY possible that a clean 6 cyl car was bought cheap a few years back when mach 1 parts were more common. I've seen literally dozens of clones based on f and t code fastbacks, probably a couple on e-bay now. My point is enjoy the car, make it what you want it to be.

I would get a Marti report on the serial number in the window and see what it is. If your lucky, it will have been a six cylinder car that was made to look like a Mach 1.

If it for a 6 cylinder coupe, you have fraud. I am suprised that a polics auction would sell a car this sketchy.

I thought the reason the car manufactures went to the dash id tag was so they couldn't be swapped so easily. It doesn't seem to me they would go through the trouble of swapping it out. This could be a case of wrong stamping at the factory. You really need to see what is stamped on the fender.

did you get an auctioneer's receipt indicating that the car was sold at a police auction?

also, you indicated that the car had been forfeited. Get a copy of that ruling. It will be something like "The People of the State of XX vs. One 1969 Mustang"

Forfeiture usually cancels the title of the owner and vests it with the State. Once the State has title, it can then subsequently transfer it freely. Where there is an innocent owner (like where the car was stolen), the govt. makes efforts to identify the owner and return the property before selliing at auction. IN this case, if the VIN does not match the car (says it is a coupe when in fact it is a fastback), then there is no owner that can be found who can come after you.

The copy of the ruling forfeiting the car and the auctioneer's receipt should be sufficient for you to be able to get insurance on this car and register it. If you encounter trouble, you might be able to file an action to quiet title in a local county court.

Thanks alot for all the helpful ideas guys. I am going to keep plugging away until I find out exactly what this car is. I think that it is probably not a Mach 1 car, but I still dont know why the tags say coupe when it is a fast back.

Thanks again and I will let you know what I dig up.

Rob