Please Help! - Intermittent Cel , Power Loss / Dies

Sparky3218

Mar 29, 2017
Let me start by saying I'm somewhat of a beginner when it comes to working on cars. Altgough I've only had the car about a year, it's given me the ambition to read and learn more every day. I have a 1992 GT. I've had an issue that has been really driving me up a wall. This only happens when it's cold. I'll be driving down the road and all of a sudden my CEL will come on, and the engine will cut out for about a second or two, and then it will restart. It feels like I've hit a wall. It completely dies, teen restarts on its own. It doesn't matter if it's light, moderate or heavy acceleration. I've replaced the coil, dizzy, plugs and wires. The car is bone stock other than a set of American Thunder cat backs. Once it's warm, it runs like a champ. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome.

Step #1, is to run the engine codes. There's a sticky at the top of the forum explaining how to do this. This will give us a better picture at what your engine doesn't like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/