Please help out a Newb

Marengo

Aug 16, 2006
Hi Everyone. First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Matt, I am 30 and I just picked up my first Mustang yesterday. Saying that I dont know anything about american cars, especially mustangs, is an understatement. I have 2 other cars; an 03 Accord and an 03 M3, so this car will be used pretty much for fun.

Like i said above, i just got a 98 mustang convertable with about 112K miles for a really good price (free). Giving her the once over, i assume that it is the lowest model you can get since i only saw one pipe coming out the back. Could anyone help me with chassis codes, engine type number, or any helpful information so i can go research exactly what i have? Also, if anyone knows of common problems i should check for, it would be really helpful. like i said before, i have very little knowledge about mustangs so i have no idea of where to start.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome. You're in the right forum. Not really too many problems on the 3.8after '96.
How did you get the car for free? If someone just gave it to you, do you think they have been maintaining it the past couple years? You may want to take care of some of the regular maintenance for a 100k mile car; new belt, flush the tranny, tune up, service the cooling system. I'd also change the fuel filter and put some injector cleaner throught the system.
Other than this, I'd say the biggest concern will be the convertible components. I just got my '95 GT 'vert, and I had to change the two rear window motors yesterday. It was $200 with me doing the work myself. Thankfully my top is newer.

Get us some pics and we'll tell you what you have just by looking.