PLease Help, Still Stuck!

'88WhtNtchBck$

Aug 17, 2007
Jersey
ALternator still won't charge, had alternator and battery checked, I'm using a powermaster 140 amp one wire which came with new charge wire. When i start the car the voltmeter does not suddenly rise like normal, instead it slowly goes down until the battery is dead. I've been lokking everywhere and can't find the problem. Recently had brackets powdercoated and motor out for oil pan gasket, hasn't charged since. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

ALternator still won't charge, had alternator and battery checked, I'm using a powermaster 140 amp one wire which came with new charge wire. When i start the car the voltmeter does not suddenly rise like normal, instead it slowly goes down until the battery is dead. I've been lokking everywhere and can't find the problem. Recently had brackets powdercoated and motor out for oil pan gasket, hasn't charged since. :bang:

are you sure you are not trying to ground the alternator to a piece thats power coated and its not making a connection? try grounding it to a piece of bare metal.

there is no ground with the one wire alternator, maybe the alt grounds to the bracket when bolted on, so i'm gonna grind the bracket where it hits the alt and ther block, :shrug: i'll be back

Yes, the guys are right-on - they made a good call. Before this thread, I don't remember seeing that you had powdercoat.

For testing, you can put a jumper cable on the alternator housing and connect the other end to shiny engine metal or the neg battery terminal. You need a good sized cable for this (4 AWG is recommended).

Good luck.

thanks for all the help guys, i didn't catch it cuz there was no ground wire to the alt, should've figured that it grounds to the heads, i took off the bracket and hit all contact points with rt angle 3m cookie, now i have charge, still have question though, does the one wire shut down if it drops to idle rpm just like it only starts at 1500 rpm? I think i'm gonna run an excite wire to it