Please help turn signal fuse keeps blowing

ErniesRedGT

Mar 8, 2010
I have a 96 GT and my turn signal fuse keeps blowing seconds after I pop in a new one and start the car up, whether I use the turn signals or not. Part of the problem is I am missing the inside fuse cover so I don't know which kind of fuse I should be using. I've been using a 15 amp fuse. If anyone has a pic of the underside of the cover with the display of the fuses, please post it on this thread. Also, I don't know what else that fuse controls that could keep making it blow the way that it does. I appreciate any help, thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

From what I can tell the fuse only controls the turn signals or flashers. You obviously have a short to ground. The problem is at the switch or the flasher. Make sure your turn signal and hazards are turned off before you try another fuse. Check wiring under the dash for any wires that might be wore through.

I/P Fuse #1 is 15amp. Suggest looking at the electronic flasher or multi-function switch.

Start by removing the fuse. Measure the resistance between the load side fuse and battery negative (key off). Post.

Disconnect the large square C288 connector under the steering column. C288 goes to the multi-function switch. If the resistance measurment goes up, suspect a bad multi-function switch.