Please Need Help

Bobby Beard

Active User
Oct 13, 2016
okay so I have a 1990 mustang 5.0, I recently had the inner bearings on my passenger side go out and actually melted to the spindle. So I just thought okay, just a freak thing that happened. So I bought a new spindle and new bearing seals, etc. and replaced them. After putting everything back together it looked fine everything fit fine. I drove it around for about 30 minutes that same day and everything was okay. The next day I took it back out and not 20 minutes into it I hear a scrapping sound coming from the front passenger side so I pulled over and the bearings had completely melted away and the bearing ring was again melted to the spindle and both times I couldn't get the ring off the spindle. I don't know what to do or why it is happening please help!!!

• Sponsors (?)

2 questions, 1) did you pack the new bearings with a high quality disc brake grease? 2, how did you tighten/ preload bearings? Proper way I've found and easiest, put a locking pair of pliers on nut once rotor and bearings are on, spin rotor back and forth, turn pliers till nut tightens lightly, then loosen. Then tighten very lightly till theirs no up and down play on rotor.grab rotor at 6:00 and 12:00, Install cotter pin. If you over tightened bearing you'll burn it out within a hundred miles. That's always worked in all the vehicles I've serviced. I've had 3 fox mustangs. With bearings it's better to be loose than tight. One last thing, make sure you grease spindle lightly also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced the rotar as well. Here is a picture of the first spindle that the bearing melded too. That ring that you see on there is not suppose to be there and it won't come off.

Attachments

• IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
2 questions, 1) did you pack the new bearings with a high quality disc brake grease? 2, how did you tighten/ preload bearings? Proper way I've found and easiest, put a locking pair of pliers on nut once rotor and bearings are on, spin rotor back and forth, turn pliers till nut tightens lightly, then loosen. Then tighten very lightly till theirs no up and down play on rotor.grab rotor at 6:00 and 12:00, Install cotter pin. If you over tightened bearing you'll burn it out within a hundred miles. That's always worked in all the vehicles I've serviced. I've had 3 fox mustangs. With bearings it's better to be loose than tight. One last thing, make sure you grease spindle lightly also.

I used a bearing packer tool to grease the bearings and tightened the nut only till I felt very little resistance but it has happened twice first time happened after about 300 miles second time happened in about 20 miles

Then you've got a too tight fit, between your spindle and bearings. Something is tightening that bearing. Did you reuse rotor from old frozen bearing? I hope not. Get a new rotor, install matching bearing races from new bearings. It's got to be freezing up somewhere. You might want to measure outside of spindle, and inside of bearings. It's unlikely but better to be safe than sorry. I'm going one step further, see if a Ford rotor is available, probably not, you can't believe some of the misfit parts that cause grief in aftermarket. Keep us posted.

Then you've got a too tight fit, between your spindle and bearings. Something is tightening that bearing. Did you reuse rotor from old frozen bearing? I hope not. Get a new rotor, install matching bearing races from new bearings. It's got to be freezing up somewhere. You might want to measure outside of spindle, and inside of bearings. It's unlikely but better to be safe than sorry. I'm going one step further, see if a Ford rotor is available, probably not, you can't believe some of the misfit parts that cause grief in aftermarket. Keep us posted.

So should I contact a ford manufacturer and see if they have the original rotar and spindle because the second one I bought is toast as well??? I'm thinking of buying all the necessary parts and then bringing it to a ford dealer to have the parts put on by a mechanic. Is that a good idea?

Well I don't know if going to the dealer is necessary. But if you want to just be done with this problem take it to a reputable shop that knows your vehicle, and has experience on brakes/ suspension. Most failures on parts are due to improper fitting parts. You can check dealer to see if parts are available if you want to go oem. They have a parts locator for other Ford dealers, that may have parts. A used spindle is fine, as long as it's straight, and not scored.

Ho
Well I don't know if going to the dealer is necessary. But if you want to just be done with this problem take it to a reputable shop that knows your vehicle, and has experience on brakes/ suspension. Most failures on parts are due to improper fitting parts. You can check dealer to see if parts are available if you want to go oem. They have a parts locator for other Ford dealers, that may have parts. A used spindle is fine, as long as it's straight, and not scored.

how do I find a shop that specifies in my car???

Sounds like it may be better for you to buy a good used spindle. Did you install the bearing races into the rotor ? How did they fit ? I usually tap them into the rotor with an aluminum bearing installer. They should have to be tapped in and not fall out on their own.

The part on your old spindle is the inner race for the bearing. It's the metal ring the bearing rollers roll on.

The bearing themselves should slide on the spindle with no play. They should just slide over the spindle. If they fit the rotor ( races ) and the spindle ( inner race ) then the only factor is the type of grease.

Sounds like it may be better for you to buy a good used spindle. Did you install the bearing races into the rotor ? How did they fit ? I usually tap them into the rotor with an aluminum bearing installer. They should have to be tapped in and not fall out on their own.

The part on your old spindle is the inner race for the bearing. It's the metal ring the bearing rollers roll on.

The bearing themselves should slide on the spindle with no play. They should just slide over the spindle. If they fit the rotor ( races ) and the spindle ( inner race ) then the only factor is the type of grease.

I bought a new spindle and the same thing accured. I applied bearing grease to the bearings and yes the races were tapped in they didn't fall out. The bearings fit the spindle with no problems. This is the second time happening. Both times only on the passenger side. I'll try it again with a different grease. I'll try to find a higher quality grease. Should I just hand tighten the spindle but this time not use a socket wrench??

I bought a new spindle and the same thing accured. I applied bearing grease to the bearings and yes the races were tapped in they didn't fall out. The bearings fit the spindle with no problems. This is the second time happening. Both times only on the passenger side. I'll try it again with a different grease. I'll try to find a higher quality grease. Should I just hand tighten the spindle but this time not use a socket wrench??
I always do it with a pair of pliers. I run the nut down by hand spinning the rotor. Then I use the pliers to snug it up....being careful not to over tighten. I snug it and then back it off slightly. I always use valvoline ford disc brake bearing grease.

Even if he did a so so packing job, it shouldn't burn up in 200 miles. I still put a glob of grease in my palm, then rotate bearing into grease until it comes out rollers. Your grease packer should have done same thing. As long as your real light on your bearing tightening, just barely past being able to turn with hands, your fine. When you pull r/side off this time, see if bearings held grease. Your using new grease seals? Right! Was this car in a right side accident, that your aware of?