Pony dead, turn the key nothing happens

Mustang sa11y13

Nov 18, 2010
So, I have a 1994 3.8L V6 Mustang with several bbk modifications. The problem is, it won't start, turn the key, and nothing happens. no lights, beeps, dings, nothing. even if i pull the light switch, the lights do not come on. it was working a few hour before this happened. i drove it for about a 1/2 hour and then waited 2 hour to go to work, got in and nothing happened. when i did it the first time my dash light turned on and i heard the fuel pump turn on so i thought it was a low battery. i checked the voltage and it was 12.5 volts. so i started checking fuses in under the hood and found that a 30amp fuse was blown, but it was for a convertible motor, witch is funny because mine is a hard top, not sure why it was blown or what it goes to or why it has power going to it. all the other fuses checked out. so i check the relays. first i checked to see if the horn would still work and it did so i switched the starter relay and horn relay and see if i could get it to start, again, turned the key and click. nothing everything went dead. I also got under the car to see if the starter wires were loose, and they were on there pretty good. just thought i would ask if anybody had any ideas. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

First, will assume this is the engine bay fuse box. I believe the convertible top is not a fuse but a circuit breaker. Suspect that you have the wrong fuse.

Since you stated that the headlights do not work, this is an important symptom. The head lights are wired to an "always on" buss in the engine compartment fuse panel. So if the head lights do not work, this tells me that the battery, battery cables, or grounds are bad.

Go back and check the battery. Double check the battery terminals. Are the clean, corrosion free, and tight? Are the grounds around the radiator core support clean and tight?

First, will assume this is the engine bay fuse box. I believe the convertible top is not a fuse but a circuit breaker. Suspect that you have the wrong fuse.

Since you stated that the headlights do not work, this is an important symptom. The head lights are wired to an "always on" buss in the engine compartment fuse panel. So if the head lights do not work, this tells me that the battery, battery cables, or grounds are bad.

Go back and check the battery. Double check the battery terminals. Are the clean, corrosion free, and tight? Are the grounds around the radiator core support clean and tight?

Thanks for the tips. I started to check all the wiring since the battery checked out and was good. come to find out, the connectors i used to attach the cables to the terminals were slightly rusty. so i took them off and polished them to a nice finish. i also installed some felt pads under the connectors then put some anti rust spray on them. Turn the key and presto, my stang is back to life. Also, the fuse was not to the convertible top, but to my cigarette outlet.