Polyetrix85

Jun 15, 2016
Hey guys, I've had this problem for a little while with my 96' mustang gt. Before this problem, my car would pick up just fine. Second gear was my power band, and it would pull really hard, in low RPM's and in higher. The problem is it gradually picks up, and it feels slightly bogged down. I can feel it in the gas pedal (If that makes sense to anyone.) It's as if it's getting too much gas and not exploding well enough or something to produce the acceleration I once had. I have a check engine light on, but the codes have to do with emission problems. I also just took my CAT's off my exhaust, which I plan on getting MIL's Eliminators for the O2 sensors and kill those codes. And something to add, I have not replaced my air filter in awhile, which I thought could play a role in it. I just ordered a new cold air intake and it'll be replaced with that, comes in Friday. (Today is Wednesday.) Another thing I had in mind to replaced is the fuel filter. I even got new spark plugs, double plat auto lites. I cleaned the MAF sensor as well. There is a gap in between the gasket on the cold air intake, which is also something I thought could be affecting my performance. would
new O2 sensors fix this problem or help in the matter also? This is pretty long, but if anyone could help, or had a similar problem, I'd appreciate it!

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, I've had this problem for a little while with my 96' mustang gt. Before this problem, my car would pick up just fine. Second gear was my power band, and it would pull really hard, in low RPM's and in higher. The problem is it gradually picks up, and it feels slightly bogged down. I can feel it in the gas pedal (If that makes sense to anyone.) It's as if it's getting too much gas and not exploding well enough or something to produce the acceleration I once had. I have a check engine light on, but the codes have to do with emission problems. I also just took my CAT's off my exhaust, which I plan on getting MIL's Eliminators for the O2 sensors and kill those codes. And something to add, I have not replaced my air filter in awhile, which I thought could play a role in it. I just ordered a new cold air intake and it'll be replaced with that, comes in Friday. (Today is Wednesday.) Another thing I had in mind to replaced is the fuel filter. I even got new spark plugs, double plat auto lites. I cleaned the MAF sensor as well. There is a gap in between the gasket on the cold air intake, which is also something I thought could be affecting my performance. would
new O2 sensors fix this problem or help in the matter also? This is pretty long, but if anyone could help, or had a similar problem, I'd appreciate it!

Ok... Where to begin :chin

First thing is first I suppose. Don't install any new "goodies" until you have resolved your current mechanical conditions. No CAI is going to solve your issue. If you can: Send the CAI back to wherever it came from. The OEM piece is already Cold Air.

Next:

Place list of all of your codes here in this thread.

Place a list of all after-market modifications already done to the car.

When was the last tune-up performed? What exactly, was done during this tune-up?

Ok... Where to begin :chin

First thing is first I suppose. Don't install any new "goodies" until you have resolved your current mechanical conditions. No CAI is going to solve your issue. If you can: Send the CAI back to wherever it came from. The OEM piece is already Cold Air.

Next:

Place list of all of your codes here in this thread.

Place a list of all after-market modifications already done to the car.

When was the last tune-up performed? What exactly, was done during this tune-up?
As far as mods go, I only have a borla exhaust system, (now with no CATS), the new cold air intake (which I got for reusable air filter, aluminum piping). The codes read: P1443, P0136, P0141, P401. I think it could be a bad O2 sensor. One was replaced, the other was not. And I have not had my car tuned before.

136 and 141 are your after-cat sensors:

P0141 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

P0136 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

You really didn't gain any performance by removing the cats (unless they were clogged) but now that you have, yeah.... you need MIL eliminators.

P1443: Evaporative Emission Control System - Vacuum System - Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve fault

Replace the Evap Control sensor and the solenoid.

P401 is not a valid code.

136 and 141 are your after-cat sensors:

P0141 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

P0136 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

You really didn't gain any performance by removing the cats (unless they were clogged) but now that you have, yeah.... you need MIL eliminators.

P1443: Evaporative Emission Control System - Vacuum System - Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve fault

Replace the Evap Control sensor and the solenoid.

P401 is not a valid code.
P0401 sorry, was a mistype.

P0401 - EGR Low Flow

Pull your EGR and the associated plumbing to include the 90* elbow. It is probably clogged. Get yourself a bunch of cans of brake cleaner, some pipe cleaners, and a set of cheap metal probes (like dentist tool looking things) and get to work removing all of the carbon build-up from the EGR.

P0401 - EGR Low Flow

Pull your EGR and the associated plumbing to include the 90* elbow. It is probably clogged. Get yourself a bunch of cans of brake cleaner, some pipe cleaners, and a set of cheap metal probes (like dentist tool looking things) and get to work removing all of the carbon build-up from the EGR.

Just curious if anyone would still see this response on this post. 1: How do I make a new forum, or post? 2: As far as updated on this topic, I cleaned the EGR valve, and it works. Took the throttle body, and throttle body plenum off and cleaned it. Replaced the fuel filter. Has new spark plugs. Also installed a 70mm throttle body, and a 86mm MAF sensor. Not that it was suppose to fix anything, but I had it on the way at any point, and plan on getting it tuned for these mods; Keep in mind, this bogging issue was before I did ANYTHING to the car with Exhaust, throttle body, MAF. I also went ahead and replaced both O2 sensors on upstreams. The downstreams, I put eliminators on them (MIL Eliminators, suppose to kill the code from not having any CATS, running O/R H-pipe). Went and got the codes scanned after doing that, and I still got faulty O2 codes as well as EVAP code, purge canister?
Codes listed :
P0141 HO2S-12 (Bank 1 sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction
P1443 EVAP Canister Purge System Malfunction
P0136 HO2S-12 (Bank 1 sensor 1) Circuit No Activity
I just replaced the O2's upstream and the MIL's on the back, so I don't know why it's still giving me O2 sensor codes. Besides that, my car is still bogged down upon acceleration. I've been told that my timing might needs to be adjusted, check for vacuum leaks, and check the fuel pressure. Which I haven't done yet, I was going to just go to Midas and have them do a full diagnostic test to see what they find. One thing I forgot to mention also, is the PCV valve or piece, broke off on my valve cover. (The arm or tube that runs from that to the cold air intake, I have it blocked off so it doesn't just keep sucking in air), I know this has to do with the EGR system, since the excess gas isn't being recirculated to be burned in the engine, would that set off the purge canister code, as well as to the fault O2s? If anyone would know, I'd appreciate it!