Possible blown head gasket?

Scott_B

"1 Arm Wonder! "
Founding Member
Oct 27, 1998
NS Canada!
Ok, was trying some stuff on the car and was backing it out the garage, noticed coolent on the floor. Drove it back in and looked it over. Sure enough the gasket on the lower part of the water pump was leaking. So i checked the upper rad hose, VERY hard..like it was under alot of pressure. I've been checking it whenever i have checked that a few times since the cars been on the road and its never been that hard. So do i maybe have blown head gasket, forceing air into the system? The car was too warm to pop the rad top and check for bubbles. The oil looks clean still..not milky. Stuck thermostat? :dontknow:

Suggestions? ???

• Sponsors (?)

hard radiator hose

I too was concerned about my upper radiator hose being too hard when at operating temp... When i had the radiator replaced at the local Mustang shop. I voiced my concern, they looked at it and told me that it should be hard since the system is under pressure. Just to be on the safe side i had the cooling system pressure checked and had the coolant checked for combustion gases. All came up OK.

Well, i went out, ran the car without the rad cap, got it warm, no bubbles, oils clean..

So i put the cap on..still letting it idle, i let it idle for a good 15min..temp was right up there..and do you know i couldnt get that thing to leak again! WTF! i even took it for a quick drive down the road, still, temp guage is as high as it normally gets..no leaks..

im scared to drive it now..what if i get out and it starts leaking again..