POSSIBLE CPP SUSPENSION FRONT BALL JOINT FIX.

Hello All, This is my first post as I am usually a wallflower using this forum for info, but now I feel I can add something to help our members.

For all of those who have CPP front suspension we know of the lower ball joint problems (as the spindle sits way low on it) I am an engineer and can say that although this kit is not perfect it is nice and have one on my 64 AND OUR TRACK CAR. I know this fix may not suit all but I don't think it should be a problem for those who have modified their Stangs for this kit.

I removed both my spindles and am working with a machine shop to bore out the hole in the spindle some and have a machined steel insert with the proper taper for the ball joint pressed and welded into the bored out hole in the spindle. The insert should (with most certainty) last as long as the car does.
This is one of the machine shops that We use here at Honeywell and they do amazing work, and because of this will charge less a hundred dollars for both spindles (that's for BOTH spindles to be machined, BOTH inserts to be made and welded in the spindles AND machined spacers to set the castle nut at the correct height to line up with the cotter pin hole)

I have not gotten my spindles back yet (I am their test bunny for this project) and will post pics and my opinions when I do (give me about a week or so). The spindle will sit about 1/2" - 7/8" higher on the ball joint when done so it may lower the car some I think. I don't want to get in trouble with the moderators so I dont want to advertise the shop without permission (MODERATORS- GIVE ME PERMISSION AND I WILL) but PM me and I will give you info on the shop (based in Southern California) so you can send them your spindles and get your kit fixed too.

On a side note, I contacted Danny at CPP (the engineer who designed this kit and spoke at length with him, nice guy..) and this was the solution we came up with. CPP would also not credit me for a replacement set of ball joints when I went to their shop with this problem a few months ago, so this should fix the problem. Nothing against CPP, as I do like this kit and our car does well with it.

Hope this can help, please let me know. Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

Thinking about it though if the problem is the lower ball joint which I'm guessing it is then this procedure won't lower the car as you say because the height is determined by the upper control arm. This will just realign the spindle and lower the lower control arm.

Hopefully that made sense. I don't have the CPP kit but seriously considered it when rebuilding my front end and it might still be in the cards somewhere down the line. Keep us updated.

I have got my spindle back from the machine shop. They machined a tapered bushing to fit the balljoint correctly, machined out the spindle so the new bushing will fit (the bushing has a decent size wall, ensuring strength) it is then pressed into the spindle, then welded so its a perminent fix. The quality of the bushing is great as it is made on a CNC machine. The machine shop is called STJ and they are located at 7338 Madison st. Paramount CA, 90723. PHONE IS (562) 630-0021. Manuel is the owner and the machinest there. I posted pics of the final install so you can see a perfect fit on the ball joint now. The price is 45.00 each spindle. There are no longer any spacers needed under the castle nut to get the cotter pins to line up. This thing fits awsome and from an engineering standpoint- will work great.

The picture if the crushed ball joint is a "before" pic that I found on another forum that represents the problem with this kit. The othwer one are of my car showing the ball joint after the fix. Sorry for the blurry.

Sorry I have not been able to post pics, My computer keeps saying Im missing a security token or somthing. Ill try again later, but there seems to be a lack of intrest in this topic so it has not been much of a priority. I am running stock 65-66 mustang spindles (we had two sets machined, one is for a track car). Anyone who has the CPP kit should be aware of the problem, seems like most people just accept the crushed ball joint and move on,....not me. I just hope that I can help anyone else who has this problem, because this is a sweet fix, they fit perfect, and use no spacers. Thanks for the question though.

Im not going to say its a bad kit, because it is not- our track car does well. Its just the lower ball joints get crushed and pancakes the boot (not ideal, or correct) -CPP knows about the issue because they include spacers to put under the castle nut so the cotter pin holes are in line with the castles on the nut. This fix simply sets the spindle higher on the ball joint, eliminating the need for spacers and ensuring a proper long ball joint life. Our car went through two ball joints before this fix. So yah, it could be an issue for anyone who has this kit in the future.

may i ask what spindles you are running? it almost sounds if you are using granade spindles or 70 and up spindles on a ball joint designed for a 65-69 spindle but that is only a guess on my part....

Granada and 1970 and up spindles use the same ball joints as 65-69. I've had both on my Mustang and neither of them required a spacer.

I just looked at the instructions for TCP and Global West arms and they also require a spacer. I assume all these arms use the Moog K772 type screw in ball joint, which I thought had the same diameter as 65-73 Mustangs, but maybe not? Or is it just the cotter pin hole that sits too high?

sorry to resurrect such an old thread but i cannot find much on this kit and Im about to install it in my 67. I only recently came across this being an issue... Does anyone know if CPP has done anything to fix this? I see mine came with 3 spacers to put under the castle nut so i assume they haven't? Is there a chance the k727 uses a thicker taper, but same threads on the control arm?

Also side note those that have installed this, and who have used their uppers also, did you do it with a shelby drop?