Possible Engine Detonation? Please help.

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
I hear this sound in which I thought it was my exhaust rattling. It sounds like metal vibrating a bit loudly and it's been going on for about more than 3 months.

It just hit me yesterday that what if that sound I hear (in which I think is my exhaust rattling) is actually detonation? I can't seem to single out which direction the sound is coming from. I keep on thinking that the sound is coming from the rear-end side of the car but I can't single out the front either. It feels like I can hear it on all directions.

How long can I drive on a engine that detonates? Is it possible that an engine can be detonating for more than 3 months and still work?

Any suggestions? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

When does the sound happen? All the time or just under heavy throttle?

My vote is a bad cat or loose exhaust. I don't think any engine would have lasted for 3 months with chronic detonation happening on a constant basis.

havent seen you on in a long time! i am sorry that youre having problems :(

what octane gas are you using?

hello :) I am using 91 octane gas. I reset my Superchips tune back to 87 octane but I still hear that metal clanging sound... I wonder if my engine can detonate at 87 octane...

When does the sound happen? All the time or just under heavy throttle?

My vote is a bad cat or loose exhaust. I don't think any engine would have lasted for 3 months with chronic detonation happening on a constant basis.

It happens mostly when I'm pressing the accelerator under normal driving (defined as 0-40mph not flooring it). I can hear it much louder as I'm passing by another car or a wall (the metal clanging sound bounces off walls and cars)...

I'm hoping my engine is not detonating...

My guess, based on your description of when it's happening, is a bad catalytic converter heat-shield. If you've got a manual trans, I'd also check the metal cover near the release arm for looseness.

Best indicator of detonation is to examine the plugs, if you pull them post up some pics.

Good to hear from you Seriphita I hope you are able to quickly determine what this issue is.

My guess, based on your description of when it's happening, is a bad catalytic converter heat-shield. If you've got a manual trans, I'd also check the metal cover near the release arm for looseness.

Unfortunately I don't have a manual transmission. I would like to have one. :) I'm hoping this is just an exhaust-based problem like you mentioned.

Best indicator of detonation is to examine the plugs, if you pull them post up some pics.

Good to hear from you Seriphita I hope you are able to quickly determine what this issue is.

Thanks Kilgore. Will detonation always leave its signature on the plugs? I'll definitely have someone pull out the plugs to see if there's any signs of abnormalities.