Possible timing chain problem

Again talking about my 65 289 Mustang. Every day I have.to reset the timing. I will have it running fine in the afternoon and then the next morning when I restart it runs like crap. When I check the timing I find it is off (usually retarded) and have to reset it. I’ve also noticed that when I try to adjust the fuel mixture when I screw in the right side the rpm’s barely fall off. Does this sound like the engine has jumped time? It doesn’t seem likely every day.

• Sponsors (?)

After you set the ignition timing and tighten down the retaining bolt, is the distributor fully seated and can you rotate the distributor at all?
Does the engine have a steel roller cam or cast iron flat tappet?
Do you know if your distributor has a steel gear or a cast iron one to be compatible with the cam?

After you set the ignition timing and tighten down the retaining bolt, is the distributor fully seated and can you rotate the distributor at all?
Does the engine have a steel roller cam or cast iron flat tappet?
Do you know if your distributor has a steel gear or a cast iron one to be compatible with the cam?
As far as I know it’s a stock engine. I’ve had it for a year. I’ve started to get to the timing chain. Every time I start it the engine always runs differently. Usually crappy.
I still have to get the harmonic balancer off and I don’t have an impact driver.