Possible tranny problem on 98 gt?

my friend has a 98 gt with nearly every bolt on. i have a stock 04 gt and have been still beating him even more mods he puts on. Today i drove his car and noticed the 1st 2 gears are GREAT in the car, but as soon as you shift into 3rd there is a massive power loss. I pull on him in 3rd when we mess around. Could he be in need of a new tranny. He has 90k mile on it, he also has 373 gears that pop really loud with every shift during hard acceleration. Could the gears possible be installed wrong? tranny just going out? no idea i not good with workin on cars but i can drive a car pretty good and noticed the huge power difference. Not just the feel of the car bout the speedometer was barely climbing. The power is there for sure , just the pick up becomes minimal. Any help is GREATLY appreciated because lookin to fix the probelm asap. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First and second in my car are fun, but third isnt much fun at all. Especially if you shift fast into it. The car instantly cuts out and falls on its face. Then will slowly pick up again. I dont know why it does that. The reason you have so much more power is because you have PI heads/cams and intake. Come stock on your year 99+ its a common mod for -99 4.6's

thebigtwinkie21 said:
my friend has a 98 gt with nearly every bolt on. i have a stock 04 gt and have been still beating him even more mods he puts on. Today i drove his car and noticed the 1st 2 gears are GREAT in the car, but as soon as you shift into 3rd there is a massive power loss. I pull on him in 3rd when we mess around. Could he be in need of a new tranny. He has 90k mile on it, he also has 373 gears that pop really loud with every shift during hard acceleration. Could the gears possible be installed wrong? tranny just going out? no idea i not good with workin on cars but i can drive a car pretty good and noticed the huge power difference. Not just the feel of the car bout the speedometer was barely climbing. The power is there for sure , just the pick up becomes minimal. Any help is GREATLY appreciated because lookin to fix the probelm asap. Thanks

Could be the tranny...I'm having mine worked on this week after 95k of service. I've heard of the same "poping" sounds coming from the rear but after some thought the noise could be been coming from the tranny or driveshaft u-joints. Either way, both items will be fixed as I'll be installing an aluminum driveshaft and the tranny is being rebuilt. I also have the same 3.73 gears installed on my car as well and I haven't had any problems in the 2 years I've had them (knock on wood). I'd take it to a shop that specializes in transmissions and have them take a look. If they can replicate the sounds you are experiencing, they may have better answers than I can give.