possibly intoxicated ford tech told me..

4.6boy

Jan 17, 2008
that ford has stoped making cooper motorcrafts many yrs are go?? and then he said to troch the new plugs to 28-32 ftp. now i am a tech and that seems like a really bad i dea

• Sponsors (?)

manual says 13-15ft-lbs. ford's have not come with copper plugs in a long time. most parts guys are too lazy to bother looking them up. 99.9% of the customers dont want them either.

3vs have higher torque specs, but they tend to break off in the head when you take them out. ford makes a tool to dig them out, otherwise you pull the head. makes for a very expensive tuneup.

I tighten untill snug then usually 1/8th to 1/4 turn more than that.

I dont want those things being loose... but it does seem like a bit more than 13 lb ft.

I tightened mine to 13ft lbs, then checked them all over by hand. Come to realize I probably wouldnt have went much tighter anyway. About 15-20k since I put my plugs in, and no problems at Ford's spec. I did double check them a few months later before a long trip...all tight.

I use german torque specs...guedentight...!
But seriously, it's really just a feel for me, hand tight, then a little 'umph' more to snug em. You'd be better off leaving em too loose than having them too tight. I had one back out on me a few months ago. Scared the crap out of me cause I thought I'd really broken something...it was backfiring right out of the cylinder. Fortunately, it happened within 100 yards of my house, and I was SO friggin happy to find it was just a loose plug. 10 mins later I was back on the road. The risk of over tightening is damage to the aluminum heads.