Potentially Buying '02 Gt... But There's A Ticking On Acceleration. Help Me Diagnose It?

CWSpartan

Jun 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hi guys I'm looking at buying my first stang and I found a real good candidate. This is a 2002 gt 5 speed with only 80k miles. Only mods are a cold air intake, short throw shifter, slightly cut OEM springs, and aftermarket exhaust tips. The seller has it at a good price the only problem is that there's a ticking sound when accelerating at low speeds. It's barely noticeable but it's definitely there. The guy says it's just an intake leak that he hasn't tracked down yet but I just want to be sure. Is this likely the problem or could it be something like the start of a rod issue? Let me know what you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO what would be a far more common problem is spark plug back out. Which may be a warning about spark plug about to "blow out". Recommend checking the spark plug torque. If any are loose, there's your answer where the noise is coming from.

Much cheaper easier to re-torque before blow out than to have an "insert" installed in the head.

Engine ticking on a car you haven't yet purchased? I wouldn't purchase it unless it was a wildly good deal or something obviously simple to fix and innocent. Something to keep in mind is that if it was such a minor problem as the seller is obviously going to say, why hasn't he just fixed it?

If you hear a ticking noise from your 2V 4.6L engine definitely remove your spark plugs and read your spark plugs.You possibly have loose spark plug/s. These 2V 4.6L engines are notrious for spark plugs blowing out of the cylinder heads. Check the condition of your spark plugs and replace them if they don't look good. Definitely retorque your spark plugs. Proper spark plug torque is 12-15 ft. lbs. that is barely 3/4 of a turn after they are hand tight using a torque wrench. Motorcraft spark plugs are the best choice. If you blow a spark plug/s out of your cylinder head/s you will have to rebuild your cylinder heads or purchase new or used cylinder heads. Also factory spark plug gap is 000.54 . Always check your spark plug gap before you install spark plugs.

Just my opinion. There are more mustangs to be had out there. Unless you're comfortable enough wth your mechanical ability, don't buy something you're not sure about.

Might be something small, might be something catastrophic.

If it blows up on you a week later, i dont want you becoming one of those "mustangs are all junk" guys, who equate one bad initial experience to the entire mustang brand being lemons.

Plenty of good running mustangs out there. Otherwise assume the worst and plan on laying down big money. You might be happily surprised or you'll be prepared for a hefty repair bill if you get a car that you know wasn't quite right to begin with.

Personally, I'd keep shopping.

Reactions: 1 users
Just my opinion. There are more mustangs to be had out there. Unless you're comfortable enough wth your mechanical ability, don't buy something you're not sure about.

Might be something small, might be something catastrophic.

If it blows up on you a week later, i dont want you becoming one of those "mustangs are all junk" guys, who equate one bad initial experience to the entire mustang brand being lemons.

Plenty of good running mustangs out there. Otherwise assume the worst and plan on laying down big money. You might be happily surprised or you'll be prepared for a hefty repair bill if you get a car that you know wasn't quite right to begin with.

Personally, I'd keep shopping.

Yuuuuup!

Once again, if it were an easy fix, the seller would have fixed it.