Power Brakes, No Power Steering on '65 6-Cyl. Car?

pekoe1111

Apr 17, 2002
I am looking at a 1965 convertible 6-cyl. convertible (it is far away) and it has power brakes but no power steering. Did these cars ever come with this combo as stock equipment?

If it was originally a power steering car, and the pump was taken off, is the steering going to same as manual steering or harder because power has a different ratio?

Thanks,

BB

• Sponsors (?)

yes power steering was an available option with the six cylinder car, and some did come with that option. i doubt however you will need the power steering with the six as the front end is lighter by about 100lbs or so. my 64 falcon six steers easier than my 66 mustang V8 because of this. both cars have manual steering.

I am looking at a 1965 convertible 6-cyl. convertible (it is far away) and it has power brakes but no power steering. Did these cars ever come with this combo as stock equipment?

If it was originally a power steering car, and the pump was taken off, is the steering going to same as manual steering or harder because power has a different ratio?

Sure. Back then you could order individual options,

PS came with the 4-turn box, while standard came with a 5-turn. No big deal, the GT came with manual 4-turn.

I doubt PS was removed, you have to change all the linkage from wheel to wheel to do that on a 6 cylinder.

Power to Manual Kit?

When I looked at another power steering car, the owners said there was a kit to convert power to manual. He mentioned something about just putting a a screw in where there was a valve. Anyone ever heard of this kit?

When I looked at another power steering car, the owners said there was a kit to convert power to manual. He mentioned something about just putting a a screw in where there was a valve. Anyone ever heard of this kit?

It's a lot more than a screw. It's a ball stud socket that costs about $175.

C7ZZ-3304-AD.jpg