Power Brakes With Manual Tranny?

n8rfastback

May 28, 2014
Hey all. I'm looking to do a power master cylinder, dual pot, for my 65 fastback. I currently am running a T5 and all drums. I plan to do discs on all four corners in the next year or so, but I want to get rid of my old single pot MC for now at least.

What options do I have that will work with 4 drums right now, but also work with 4 discs later? All the upgrades I have seen say they are for front discs and rear drums.

Thanks for your input.
Nate

• Sponsors (?)

That is for 4 wheel disc brakes and the disc MC won't work properly with drum brakes. You will have a car that will be even more unsafe than using the jelly jar type MC.

Initially you would need a MC for 4 wheel drum brakes which has additional valving built in the MC (residual valve(s.) The residual valve keeps a slight pressure in the drum system which helps keep wheels springs located and prevents air from entering the hydraulic system if there is any type of a leak. Also without the residual valve the pedal will be lower and spongy. A disc brake system does not use a residual valve. If a drum MC is installed on a disc setup, the brakes remain locked up for a long period (several seconds or even minutes) after the pedal is pushed.

Since the power booster doesn't care whether drum or disc, install the new booster that you posted using the jelly jar MC for now or source a 4 wheel drum MC for temporary use until you swap to discs. Or find a kit for 4 wheel drum MC that you can use now and swap the MC later for the disc one.

Last edited:
Well that kind of stinks. Ill guess I'll just wait then and do the MC at the same time I do the disc brake upgrades. I was hoping to space it out but I will just save up and do it all at once.