Power steering 0 rings at the rack and pinion gear box

GT Tommy

Aug 15, 2008
I just replaced my sons 2003 GT Mustang 4.6 two power steering line seals at the rack and pinion gear box for the second time in less than a year. The connection appears to be a bad design. With the proper tension placed on the fittings to the rack housing, the design of the connection still allows the two lines to rotate. It also allows the two lines to whobble while the engine is running. To me, this is what places wear on the teflon seals which ends up leaking. I will be fabricating a short bracket which will bolt to the frame and extend out to the two lines to keep them solidly in place. I believe this will allow for a longer life span for the two teflon seals. Has anyone experienced this same problem. Thank you, Tommy.

• Sponsors (?)

I just replaced my sons 2003 GT Mustang 4.6 two power steering line seals at the rack and pinion gear box for the second time in less than a year. The connection appears to be a bad design. With the proper tension placed on the fittings to the rack housing, the design of the connection still allows the two lines to rotate. It also allows the two lines to whobble while the engine is running. To me, this is what places wear on the teflon seals which ends up leaking. I will be fabricating a short bracket which will bolt to the frame and extend out to the two lines to keep them solidly in place. I believe this will allow for a longer life span for the two teflon seals. Has anyone experienced this same problem. Thank you, Tommy.

No, but now I'm going to have a look at them... :)