Power steering line install question

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
While starting the install of my new steering rack on the K member, it looks like it would be alot easier to install the power steering lines before I install it???
Can anyone confirm this or not??
Thanks again......

• Sponsors (?)

Ok they are on...... K Member and the rack back on the car... Nice putting items back on it....
DSCF1066.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
is there a correct way to install the lines from the pump/rack to the cooler?
Does the rack go to the bottom or the top oil cooler nipple? Or does it matter?

Would an inline power steering filter go on the line from the rack to the cooler? or the line from the cooler to the pump?

I would say it doesn’t matter but going in the bottom and coming out the top would make plumbing it easier.

Power steering pump filter goes on the low pressure side. Two trains of thought her with you using a cooler. Install it before the cooler so it doesn’t get plugged with particles. Install after the cooler and before the pump reservoir to ensure something from the cooler doesn’t break loose and get into the pump, not likely but…

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
The routing is pump to rack is high pressure, and then rack to cooler and cooler back to pump is low pressure. You want to install coolers and filters on the low pressure side of things.

Thanks for the responses...
Yes, talking about the return ( low pressure) line that comes from the steering rack, to my stock cooler, then another line back to the pump....
Wondering if there was a correct way the fluid flowed through the stock cooler? Being, which rubber line ( from the rack or to the pump) goes where on the two metal ends of the cooler, the top or bottom as they protrude through the radiator support? I assume it does not matter......

Aerocoupe, I agree with you about the install of the PS filter... I do not think the stock cooler though ( just the metal tube that wraps up and around in front of the radiator) has anything that could come loose in it?
Nobody else using a PS filter here?? Looked to me like a good idea so were going to try one out.......

Flow direction does not matter through coolers.

I am not using a filter. I did however slightly modify a 96-98 Cobra finned cooler to fit my fox.

You can kinda see it here
E87D1791-6E2D-4B35-8BD9-12AB7E5AB08E.jpeg

What Mustang5L5 has is exactly what I would do if the need ever arises. The stock tubing one doesn't really do much but being Ford put it in all the V8's (pretty sure they did on '85 and up anyway) there had to be a reason.

Given that it's a steel tube, the heat transfer probably isn't that impressive. It's likely perfectly fine for street driving though so don't overthink it but even a plate type, small fluid cooler would be an upgrade.

I have hydroboost, so given that my power steering pump is providing fluid or the brakes and the rack, i wanted the extra cooling.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting side note about power steering fluid coolers..... the 93 Cobra R, in addition to the looped tube style cooler (albeit with fins), was fitted with the AOD's radiator and the power steering fluid is plumbed through the auto transmission fluid cooler in the radiator.

Last edited: