Power Steering Pump

88ponyGTconv

Jul 2, 2017
Decatur, AL
When I cranked our "new" '88 GT for the first time two months ago after we had driven from North Alabama to Dallas to make the purchase, the power steering pump was whining. I know you are all shocked. But, so what, right? Now, I'm researching a replacement and it seems there is a lot of negative publicity, regardless of which pump I have found. It seems there have been people who replaced their pump and it still whines "just as bad if not worse than the old one" (paraphrased). Mine is still functioning fine, but is embarrassing for my 13 yo daughter when I drop her off and pick her up from friends. I'll admit, it is a little embarrassing.
I have read "Power Steering whine........", by JT Fairlane, which has great info. I'll be reviewing that thread.
So, my questions:
1. What's the difference between a $45 & $110 refurb?
2. Are they manufactured new?
3. Are there any upgrades?
4. Is there any specific brand and model that anyone prefers?
5. Are there any other threads on here that I should reference?
6. Any random tips?

Thanks!!
Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

Power steering repair & time estimate:
Power steering system diagram:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58118&stc=1&d=1241451876.gif

Do not attempt to do this job without good jackstands.

The return hoses are all low pressure and are most commonly secured to the pump and associated plumbing with worm gear hose clamps. After a while they will frequently soften up at the end where they are clamped, and should be replaced. The auto parts store will sell you hose by the foot and it takes about 3 feet or less, depending if you have the fluid cooler in the low pressure side of the line.

Each hose uses an O ring on each end to seal them. The hoses will swivel when they are installed and tightened into place. That is why there are O rings on the fittings. The O ring is the part that actually makes the pressure seal. If you slide the nut all the way back as far as it will go, you will see the O ring and the groove cut into the center section of the fitting.
attachment.php?attachmentid=50550&stc=1&d=1180360651.gif

Sometimes you will get some white Teflon rings with the pump or rack. The rings go on the threaded part of the fitting to reduce or prevent small leaks. They are not meant to seal the pressure part of the line or substitute for the rubber O ring. Heat the white Teflon seals in hot water and they will be easier to install. You can install the fittings without them and not have any leaks if the O rings seal good.

You will need to rent or buy a PS steering puller. The PS pulley has a ridge that the puller seats on. Then you crank the screw on the middle of the puller to get the pulley off the shaft.

w87020.jpg

You can rent the tool at Autozone or other auto parts stores.

I have used a bearing separator & harmonic balancer puller together to do the job.

Use this tool to put it back on...

45320.jpg

I usually just use the bolt that comes with the new PS pump.

Buy several extra quarts of fluid to run through the system to flush it when you change the rack. The car needs to be up on jackstands for the next step. Fill the pump up, start the car, and turn the wheels lock to lock to bleed the air out. Then stop the engine, disconnect the low pressure hose (the one that is secured with a hose clamp) and drain the pump. Re-connect, refill and do it several more times or until the fluid looks clear and not burnt or black.

This is a known problem with Fords. The PS pumps whine- especially replacement or new ones. Your options are to find a used one that will probably be quieter than a new one, or convert over to a GM saginaw style PS pump.

This is a known problem with Fords. The PS pumps whine- especially replacement or new ones. Your options are to find a used one that will probably be quieter than a new one, or convert over to a GM saginaw style PS pump.

"or convert over to a GM saginaw style PS pump"
I like this idea. Have you or anyone else here done this? What part number have you used?
It would be a bit disappointing to go through the trouble of replacement and it still whine.

I managed to quiet mine down a bit when I did my 03 Cobra steering rack swap. My pump is original 1988 pump, and was quite loud prior to this upgrade. During the swap, everything got replaced other than the pump, so the fluid fill was 100% new.

I filled it with wheels off the ground, and hand-pumped to get it into the lines as much as I could. At that point I started the engine and filled it with engine running, while turning wheels lock to lock. I then attached a vac pump with a fitting I made to the PS pump neck, and had it set at very light vacuum (10mmHG) and did the same with the vacuum running.

End result....I can still hear it, but it's nowhere as loud as it used to be.

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of fluid are you running in the pump?

Also since you can hear your pump noise, that means your exhaust isn't loud enough

A. I have no idea. Whatever the last owner put in it. I have not done anything with it yet, but when I replace, I'll completely bleed the system like I did the breaks, so it will have all new fluid. I'll also put in new lines.

B. You are correct, sir. That's on down the list. Working on the basics right now. After pump, next up will be new plugs and wires as well as new fuel filter. I also still have to get to that pesky rear driver's side window that won't roll up unless I'm pulling on it. About to go turn wrenches on the new driveshaft.

I wouldn't waste your money on the more expensive pumps, they all make the noise to a certain degree. Just use Type F ATF in it and bleed the system as good as possible.

Reactions: 1 user