Power Steering Question

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Well I'm at work...and on the way while parking I noticed a weird sound. Power steering pump was out of fluid. whoops. Well my car was in the shop the past couple days and then sat for like a week...so its not all my fault!
Anyway...
1. Could this have damaged the pump?
2. Could this also rob the car of power...(harder to turn the accessory)
^^I noticed my car was acting weak off the line...maybe it could have contributed.

• Sponsors (?)

yes,yes.. bearings in the pump can go bad and require more power to turn pump i have seen bearings seize in power steering pump you need to fix leak and remove belt and spin pump pully and compare it to a new one at the parts store and determine if bearings are beginning to seize most important find leak and fix it....

bill302 said:
yes,yes.. bearings in the pump can go bad and require more power to turn pump i have seen bearings seize in power steering pump you need to fix leak and remove belt and spin pump pully and compare it to a new one at the parts store and determine if bearings are beginning to seize most important find leak and fix it....

I know where the leak is....I was under the car and you know where the black squeeges are on the racks next to the tire...one of them hjad fluid in it.

Synned, one thing to consider. If you dont know of a leak in the system, and if the car was at a shop and they turned the wheel with the car off, it can dump fluid out of the reservoir. I dont know how much it will spew, but it should be able to empty the pump reservoir if turned enough (the rack is displacing fluid when the wheels are turned, but the pump is not replenishing the rack with fresh fluid).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Synned, one thing to consider. If you dont know of a leak in the system, and if the car was at a shop and they turned the wheel with the car off, it can dump fluid out of the reservoir. I dont know how much it will spew, but it should be able to empty the pump reservoir if turned enough (the rack is displacing fluid when the wheels are turned, but the pump is not replenishing the rack with fresh fluid).

Good luck.

It's a possibility, but I am pretty sure its a leak. I know where the leak is too....its on one of the black squeege things where the rack is (I think the rack) Where the steering stuff connects to the wheels, the black covers that go over it one of them has fluid IN it.

Synned said:
It's a possibility, but I am pretty sure its a leak. I know where the leak is too....its on one of the black squeege things where the rack is (I think the rack) Where the steering stuff connects to the wheels, the black covers that go over it one of them has fluid IN it.
It sounds like you are talking about the rack bellows (the articulated boots - they look like an accordian). If so, you're right - those should not have fluid in them - the end seals on the rack are letting go. Very common.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
It sounds like you are talking about the rack bellows (the articulated boots - they look like an accordian). If so, you're right - those should not have fluid in them - the end seals on the rack are letting go. Very common.

Good luck.

Yup...thats what it is. So what is it just a ring or gasket that can be replaced? I wonder if its related to the creaking sound I hear when I turn right...