Power Steering Question

jlangholzj

Mustang Master
Oct 23, 2006
CLT
Just rebuilt my PS ram and the CV as well. Everything's functional but its a bit...erm...."chattery" when its in use. I'm assuming this is due to new tight tolerances again and also probably due to some air in the lines. I was curious if there's a "bleeding" procedure for the system or if i just need to let it work its way out. Ford manual didn't provide any insight for anything after assy.

• Sponsors (?)

Like mentioned above, when I was filling my system I had the engine running. I would add a little fluid and turn the wheels back and forth, add a little and turn the wheels again until it was full. Also as Rusty said, do this with the wheels off the ground...especially if you have a drop bracket for headers! There is enough force there to break those brackets when you are not moving (also enough force there to break your arms if you get the slave cylinder hoses reversed...ask me how i know!) If it's still "chattery" after that then I might suspect a faulty hose or maybe a poor rebuild on the pump.

pump was never noisy before. I did take it to lock and back a few times. Between that and a weekend of driving its getting better. I guess it sounds more like a new PS system now...lol! Most of it I'm sure it due to new seals. Runs like a champ though!