Engine power steering

What will happen if you overfill your power steering pump?
1986 5.0 GT - shredded a belt and only thing I did was eliminate AC, move PS up, put new belt on and re-filled reservoir?
Looks like oil has sprayed out of top, but PS was working fine.

• Sponsors (?)

Were you moving the rack back and forth without the car running? I found out the hard way doing that will cause fluid out the top. I guess it builds pressure without it circulating.

Puking fluid could be because the belt was off when turning the steering wheel.

The belt shredding is either a bad belt, bad pulley bearing, bad alignment, or incorrect tension on the belt.

I can confirm that without the pump spinning, moving the rack can cause PS fluid to squirt out of the cap.

I would check belt alignment to make sure the pullies are aligned properly. I've seen them be slightly offset which chews up the inside of the belt on one of the pullies and frays it and may cause it to throw

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone, read a bunch more on these forums and yes, sounds like leak was from overfill and turning wheel when pump not spinning, and most likely culprit for the shredding (of two belts now), is excessive axial movement of the power steering pulley. Just weird because it didn't do it before. Could be alignment too after doing the A/C eliminator and moving the PS pump up...but you would think the brackets are built correctly...well OK maybe not, LOL. Also, could be related to tensioner pulley style...

Wanted to work out all the bugs before swapping the motor over to the '65, luckily none of the above will be used.

Axial movement should shred the belt.

What style tensioner do you have ? The factory ine should be smooth with shoulders on the side. The correct pulley isn't sold with the replacement style tensioner. I called and emailed Dayco about this way back in 2000. They responded but never corrected it. Just sent me the correct pulley.

Screenshot_20221007-000259_Chrome.jpg

Axial movement should shred the belt.

What style tensioner do you have ? The factory ine should be smooth with shoulders on the side. The correct pulley isn't sold with the replacement style tensioner. I called and emailed Dayco about this way back in 2000. They responded but never corrected it. Just sent me the correct pulley.

Screenshot_20221007-000259_Chrome.jpg
yup, read yur previous thread, mine is smooth with shoulders , actually looks like it is two spamped pieces, as there is a groove down the middle, but anyway, I think it may be the PS pulley axial movement, just curious why it didn't throw a belt previously, just now that I moved it and deleted AC. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user