Pretty cool electrical tip for weak batteries

Black1987Stang

Aug 22, 2004
Jersey Shore
my friend was starting up his mom's car in his garage so i can put my car in there to work on it, it barely cranked, was very cold out, he put on the headlights for less than a minute, supposed to get the electrons moving inside the battery since it was stone cold dead.....went to go crank it and it started right up...I was like :shrug: :nice: ....Thought that was pretty slick, just sharing my experience

• Sponsors (?)

i seem to recall this having more to do with the resistance in the battery
when you turn on the headlights you are heating up the battery, a warmer battery has less resistance and thats why you have a better chance of starting the car

i seem to recall this having more to do with the resistance in the battery
when you turn on the headlights you are heating up the battery, a warmer battery has less resistance and thats why you have a better chance of starting the car

That's the false thought. A colder battery is weaker. By turning on the headlights, the battery is "suppose" to heat up. That means there is less lost because of the battery's temp.

Well, that work for a *Battery Warmer*. For a cold battery, it's the resistance between ALL of the contact points that will get effected by that short turn-off. The battery won't heat up much from the MINOR load of the headlights. But, poor connections MAY lower their resistance once current starts to flow.

In general, it's a hack. It may or may not work. It's best to have a good battery, CLEAN connection with di-electric grease, and so on.

As for all of the "battery warmer" theories, ask them if they've every used a high resolution infer-red thermometer. And, then ask them if the battery's ability at the "new" temp, if it even heats up, is much different. Of course, to *properly* test, the battery gets put in a thermal chamber and is held at that temp for an hour then tested.

i'm in my third year of my Bachelor of Science degree, which means i have taken a **** load of chemistry and physics courses.... and there is no science behind that claim. yes a warmer battery will have more energy, but the idea of using a battery's own energy to increase it's energy output is just silly. by turning on the headlights you do not increase the potential energy of the battery, you lower it! the only explanation for what you are describing is possibly a bad connection. The increased output due to the headlights being on may have created a better connection through the terminal 'crud', but does not increase the battery power. i think just a good cleaning is better advice!