pro 5.0 shifter, easy/hard install

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
i want to buy a 5.0 short shifter casuse i have money to burn and i would like a shorter shift. easy to install/ hard? could i do it myself? what about the stop adjustments? can someone explain whats involved? any better short shifter out there?

• Sponsors (?)

well first off, if thats your mustang in that pic under your name....its a little more complex then those instructions show. I have the shifter that you are inquiring about and i thought it was just 4 bolts, bam, bam,bam and im done. However i had to take out the stereo, remove the center console, the peice underneath the steering to get to the back 2 allen bolts, because you cannot get to them due to the plate on the shifter. Not incredibly hard to install, just make sure you have the patience and about 1-2 hours to do this.

It is easy. You do not need to remove your console. Just use some patience and extensions. 1/4 in. drive ratchets work well.

www.mustangworld.com has a nice color pictured writeup on a Pro 5.0 install under their writeups. Check it out:nice:

Use some hightemp RTV to seal the base of the shifter to the transmission. Tight snuggly.

Set your stop bolts correctly as outlined in the mustangworld writeup.

Make sure the plastic cup is still in the tranny area when you remove/replace the shifter ball in the transmission.

joem1cha3l said:
well first off, if thats your mustang in that pic under your name....its a little more complex then those instructions show. I have the shifter that you are inquiring about and i thought it was just 4 bolts, bam, bam,bam and im done. However i had to take out the stereo, remove the center console, the peice underneath the steering to get to the back 2 allen bolts, because you cannot get to them due to the plate on the shifter. Not incredibly hard to install, just make sure you have the patience and about 1-2 hours to do this.

I went through the same thing and it made me mad but I'm glad I did it now. Not to hard, but harder than I expected. Be patient, and don't get frustrated.

Pretty simple and straight forward. You do not need to remove the console, just be patient you can turn the 2 bolts hinding under the console...just takes a while, a lot of little turns of the wrench.
Then just makes sure it sits over night to let the rtv seal completely.