Pro 5.0 Shifter Question

04GT

Oct 8, 2003
Southwest Ohio
I've got a Pro 5.0 shifter that I've had for about 50,000 miles. Seems like it's gotten harder to shifter over time. I'm not grinding gears or missing, but I can't shift as fast as I could when I first got the thing.

Do aftermarket shifters last the life of the vehicle or do they wear out earlier than stock ones?

• Sponsors (?)

You probably need to adjust your clutch. I had the same problem. But after doing a clutch adjustment my car shifts like buttah :nice:
I found that adjusting the clutch via the car manual doesn't really work. So, you need to do it like this:

1. Crawl under the dash.
2. Push the clutch pedal in with your left hand.
3. Hold the clutch quadrant up with your right hand.
4. While holding the clutch quadrant up, pull the clutch back toward you. You will hear a ratcheting mechanism "click". Only bring it back 1 or 2 clicks.

This will adjust your clutch cable so that the clutch disengages fully.
It's kind of a bitch, but it works great! :nice:

Thanks, Dude! :nice:

I believe that worked. I didn't have enough muscle power to hold the quadrant back while I pulled on the pedal. So, I used a 2 ft carpenter's level as a brace to hold the quadrant up while I pulled on the pedal till I heard a couple clicks, just like you said.

For anyone else who tries it, I would emphasize not to pull on the pedal very hard. Only took a little bit to hear the clicks.

Took it for a spin and I could definitely feel the clutch engaging sooner.

In the past, I've tried to adjust it like the manual said, but never heard any clicks or noticed improvements.

Thanks again.

Sorry to derail your thread but I made a few Killer Bunny photoshops a few months ago...

PythonBunnyFinal.jpg

PythonBunnyFinal2.jpg

PythonBunnyFinal3.jpg

PythonBunnyFinal4.jpg

menasci said:
You're welcome!

So can you shift into gears a little smoother?

Yeah, just got back from a 60 mi round trip and it's going into gear much smoother. :)

And the killer bunny pics are great. I like the last one where it's ripping the guy's throat out through the chainmail particularly.

Now, you must bring us a shrubbery!