Pro 5.0 vs. MGW short throw shifter

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
I currently have the Pro 5.0 shifter. It is very noisy and I really have to reach forward for the 1-3-5 shifts unless I move my seat uncomfortably up. I see that the design of the MGW shifter might be a little more what I am looking for. How is the quality? Does anyone have pictures of an installed piece?

• Sponsors (?)

Ive never used a pro 5.0 but i got an mgw for christmas. Mine definately makes noise but i honestly think its just noise from the 3650. Its getting close to time for me to change the tranny fluid. It was pretty notchy at first but it broke in quickly and its very smooth now and the throws are very short. Its an extremely solid piece and definately is a lot higher quality then the stock shifter. Also with the adjustable handle you shouldnt have any problem with reaching for the shifter, i never felt like i was reaching any farther then i did with the stock shifter.

11-02-06_1100.jpg

11-02-06_1101.jpg

This last photo is taken with shifter in 4th gear.
11-02-06_1104.jpg

Does this help!

Attachments

• 11-02-06_1100.jpg
    11-02-06_1100.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 11-02-06_1101.jpg
    11-02-06_1101.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 11-02-06_1104.jpg
    11-02-06_1104.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 278
Ive never used a pro 5.0 but i got an mgw for christmas. Mine definately makes noise but i honestly think its just noise from the 3650. Its getting close to time for me to change the tranny fluid. It was pretty notchy at first but it broke in quickly and its very smooth now and the throws are very short. Its an extremely solid piece and definately is a lot higher quality then the stock shifter. Also with the adjustable handle you shouldnt have any problem with reaching for the shifter, i never felt like i was reaching any farther then i did with the stock shifter.

I agree with every word.

how do you go about ordering the silver handle. I have the orange handle and have looked on their website and can't find the silver handle anywhere. Do i have to call and special order or something?

When I ordered mine, they told me the orange handle wouldn't be ready for a week or so. They told me they have another handle that is available to ship immediately so I accepted. I think you would probably have to talk to them in person to get the silver handle.

The handle that comes with the pro 5.0 SUCKS. Buy a steeda triax handle and problem solved...thats what I did and IMO its PERFECT. I dont have to reach at ALL to hit 5th gear....its right there.

MGW is probably a good choice...I just dont care for the way the thing looks, even after fully installed it looks kinda funny. As far as feel, never tried one out...but everyone seems to like theirs, so im betting the feel is great :nice:

Mine also makes no noise that I notice :shrug: . Maybe you forgot to put the rubber coverings back over it?

all aftermarket shifters are going to be noiser than the stock shifter. just look how much rubber is on the stock shifter compared to the aftermarket. Heat transfer is more of a problem aswell.

Easiest way i dealt with it when i put in my UPR shifter is to get some sheets of high temperature silicone gasket material and make a full gasket with only enough space for the ball and pin of the shifter to move freely. I have very very little noise and almost no heat transfer.