Pro. 5 vs. MGW Shifter

AmBo

Feb 3, 2004
New Jersey
Am looking into getting a new shifter but am stumped on which to get. I've read threads of people saying Pro 5 is great and tons of people saying MGW is amazing. Are there pros anc cons to each?

Also, to those of you who did the install of your new shifter, how long and how difficult was it? I figured I'd follow this tutorial: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/shift1.htm

Thanks for your honest opinions. :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

No brainer. MGW. Firmest, shortest throws imagineable. Nothing else touches it. Have had afew people try out my shifter because they want to get an aftermarket shifter. As soon as they test it. SOLD!

MGW hands down. Just got mine in yesterday w/ their triple chrome T knob, it feels simply amazing. I upgraded from some no name piece of crap shifter and it made the world of difference

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 183
I can't compare but will say that I have the MGW and it's great. I have absolutely no complaints. Installation is a breeze for virtually any shifter. It took me about 15-20 minutes with a cordless drill and a 6" extension and that was going slow. Make sure when removing your old shifter and all the bolts are off hit it to the right or left to break the seal, not forward or back as it can damage the trans.

Simple and worthwhile mod..

I've had the MGW in for about 2 weeks. I can tell you right now, after getting used to it, it is simply AMAZING. I think its a very essential part to modding your car, because, where does everything begin to use your car? The gas, steering wheel, and shifter :D

I had the Pro 5.0 for 120k miles. Switched to the MGW as soon as George could spell my address correctly. Haven't looked back. The MGW shifter is the best shifter on the market. Period.

i own a pro 5.0, installed a UPR for a friend, my uncle has a steeda, and my neighbor has a MGW and WOW MGW all the way it feels a lot better (but maybe its cause his car has only 15k miles) but my vote is MGW

About the MGW shifter, i'm looking into replacing my Triax in my 2000 GT with the MGW. Just wanted to know what handle to get red or blue, for best driveability and smoothness. The tri ax is notchy feeling, is it because of T45 or are all aftermarket shifters notchy? I drove a 2000 Saleen S281 with a pro5.0 and it shifted so smooth, i just feel like i could've shifted faster with the pro50 over my triax, but MGW looks promising by its reviews.

Also, what makes the MGW better than the others, i've read the website but what do you guys have to say about it?

Thanks,
Cory J

For those with the MGW.. does it correct the "reach" issues our Mustangs have? I have to straighten my arm on up shifts and almost lean for 5th, very uncomfortable. I have the Steeda and don't mind the notchiness at all, but will definitely trade it in if the MGW corrects the reach issue.

Ghostface said:
For those with the MGW.. does it correct the "reach" issues our Mustangs have? I have to straighten my arm on up shifts and almost lean for 5th, very uncomfortable. I have the Steeda and don't mind the notchiness at all, but will definitely trade it in if the MGW corrects the reach issue.

Fifth will be a bit of an issue with any short throw. The fact that you can angle it towards you definately helps. I have the "Cruiser" handle and at 5'11" don't have a reach problem, even with my abnormally short "T-Rex" arms :rolleyes: .

Chili said:
Fifth will be a bit of an issue with any short throw. The fact that you can angle it towards you definately helps. I have the "Cruiser" handle and at 5'11" don't have a reach problem, even with my abnormally short "T-Rex" arms :rolleyes: .

I agree. My MGW is angled over to the driver's side for definite reach-friendly shifts. But at 6'0", I have Orangatang arms, so I have the shorter blue "Sportsman" shifter. :rolleyes:

In comparison, after you have a MGW, you'll think a Tri-Ax is a stock shifter. I can't speak for thr red "Cruiser" MGW, but the shorter blue "Sportsman" shifter has the shortest shifts known to man, the shifts take alittle more effort to shift between gears, but their firm and confident shifts. You'll get use to the shifter in no time, and the extra effort involved will be childs play after a week. If your 5'8", then I'd probably suggest you get the red "Cruiser". It's a little longer shifter.

Crzyhrse said:
In comparison, after you have a MGW, you'll think a Tri-Ax is a stock shifter. I can't speak for thr red "Cruiser" MGW, but the shorter blue "Sportsman" shifter has the shortest shifts known to man, the shifts take alittle more effort to shift between gears, but their firm and confident shifts. You'll get use to the shifter in no time, and the extra effort involved will be childs play after a week. If your 5'8", then I'd probably suggest you get the red "Cruiser". It's a little longer shifter.
That is false the difference between the Steeda Tri Ax shifter and the
stock shifter is like night and day! I will admit the MGW shifter is just a little
better than the Steeda Tri Ax but,not by much! I driven my cousins 01 GT
with the MGW shifter on it with the red knob and than I drove my 96 GT with
the Steeda Tri Ax with the Steeda knob and it was not a world of a
difference.The only real difference I can tell you is the MGW shifter shifted
a little faster but,thats it.I can care less about what the people in this
thread think about the Steeda Tri Ax.I like my Tri Ax and I will never change it because I like it and I refuse to jump on the MGW bandwagon just everyone
else! :notnice: