Pro-M says my MAF is calibrated for a '93 Cobra computer, will it be fine on my A9L?

BlackFox5.0

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Massachusetts
I sent Pro-M the numbers on my MAF and they said it was for the '93 Cobra computer. I asked if it would work, and they said no, but it's is working, I was having misfire problems but I think I solved it.

Can I still use this MAF?

• Sponsors (?)

They are right it will not work CORRECTLY. That MAF is calibrated for 19 lb injectors, the computer is what makes the changes so that it can work with 24lb injectors (which is what the cobra uses). I dont know what injectors you are using, but the only way to use a cobra MAF is with a cobra computer.

Dammit, well it is working....so i don't know....

They said it was for 24# injectors. The Calibration is marked "COB"

Thier reply was:

"Can't say for sure, COB implies 24# injectors on a 93 cob vehicle"

My reply was:
"Ok, thanks, thats what I was told it was for, but wanted to make sure. You
says it's for a '93? I'm using a 1989 A9L Mustang computer, will it work
fine with this?"

And thier reply was:
"No it will have to be recalibrated for the 89 computer since it is not a
cobra."

I guess I'll have to end up ebaying this MAF off then, but not before I buy a correct one.

What does it cost to have it recalibrated? I think there are some Pro-M dealers around here, can they do it?

BlackFox5.0 - any chance you could do a dyno pull to see what the a/f ratio's are like? just curious as i've heard a lot of info regarding this exact topic. it seems to be widely accepted that ford calibrated the 93cobra for 24pounders through the ecm and not the maf. so by that logic any 93cobra maf should work with the A9L. also i believe it was the 93cobra maf they put on the 94-95 gt's with 19lb injectors. i wish i had more useful info for you, but, i don't. let me know what happens.

-steve

I'm going to sell it and get one that is for my cmoputer, and injectors... I need one like, now, because I keep stalling when coming out of gear on the road, I can loose my power brakes and hit someone if the engine shuts off....

They said this MAF is for 24# injectors though....

I don't wanna talk trash but Pro-M probably makes half their money off of recals. They know they are about the only people out there in that business. I suggest you get your A/F checked because if your meter is off you won't be able to say its working fine. Your car will not even remotely act like its running well.

Sleeper 362 said:
I suggest you get your A/F checked because if your meter is off you won't be able to say its working fine. Your car will not even remotely act like its running well.

that's my perspective. if it were calibrated for the 24's it would idle and drive like dog dung. for you to say it runs well suggests the curve is at least close to being correct. i'd give it a test with the wideband.

-steve

I have 24# injectors in the car. it runs pretty good, except at idle, and when I push in the clutch.

I need a different MAF, thats all, finding one specific to my computer and injectors will be a little tough though....

I currently have this one for sale if anyone wants it. I'll take $115 shipped

Should I just get a C&L? I can get a brand new one for $169 shipped

My maf does that and it is calibrated.I've had to send mine back to pro-m twice and its still not right. The fact of the matter is that the ford maf is 10X better than any aftermarket maf. I hate to say it because tha ford stuff is only so big. C&L is worse than Pro-M. Mafs just suck. I'm about to trade my 87mm Bullet for a lightening Maf. I'd say save your money and get a Dyno run with A/F to see what is really going on. You might just have to adjust your fuel pressure.

I set my FP to 41-42psi (I forget which) when I had my stock 19# injectors and MAF meter....I never changed it since installing the injectors and meter, could i maybe be suirting too much fuel now? The car does smell really rich now...

I know nothing is better than the stock meter, but what is next best? I don't want to buy a new one, I'd prefer used since I save at least $100

36 at idle is good from what I know. Pro-m is the best aftermarket stuff you can get but unfortunately its still garbage. The shorty pro-m is the best. I beleive 2001 blacksnake may have what your looking for I don't know for sure. I'll check with him tomorrow for you. Where in MA are you from? I'm originally from NewBedford. :nice: