problems after cylinder balance check

billheis

Jul 17, 2003
Longwood, FL
Working on a friends 89 5.0 5sp ex FHP car. Engine rebuilt, B cam, cobra intake and 65 TB. He was having idle problems and acted like it has slight miss. Ive got an old Brainmaster scanner and checked codes. Only one was O2 showing mixture rich, which makes sence with that cam. I adjusted the idle speed and set the TPS to.995. Then I ran a cylinder power balance test and it show all the cylinders even, We took the scanner off after deleteing the codes and drove it around the block and as we pulled into the driveway it started acting like it was going through the balance check again. Cleared the computer and it seemed fine and took it out for a drive and you guess it, it started to idle up for 30 seconds and then back down. Pulled the IAC wire off and still does it. The computer is doing it through timing. We checked and doubled checked the grounds all seem good. Anyone ever have this happen before. What do I check next.
Bill

• Sponsors (?)

Check the ECT/ACT sensors

Pin 25 ACT signal in. at 50 degrees F it should be 3.5 volts. It is a good number if the ACT is mounted in the inlet airbox. If it is mounted in the lower intake manifold, the voltage readings will be lower because of the heat transfer.

Pin 7 ECT signal in. at 176 degrees F it should be .80 volts

The ACT & ECT have the same thermistor, so the table values are the same.

Here's the table: The values are +/- 15%, so don't get worried if your readings vary a little bit.

Voltages are measured across the two connector pins of the sensor with the sensor connected.
68 degrees F = 3.02 v
86 degrees F = 2.62 v
104 degrees F = 2.16 v
122 degrees F = 1.72 v
140 degrees F = 1.35 v
158 degrees F = 1.04 v
176 degrees F = .80 v
194 degrees F = .61

Ohms measures at the computer with the computer disconnected, or at the sensor with the sensor disconnected.
50 degrees F = 58.75 K ohms
68 degrees F = 37.30 K ohms
86 degrees F = 27.27 K ohms
104 degrees F = 16.15 K ohms
122 degrees F = 10.97 K ohms
140 degrees F = 7.60 K ohms
158 degrees F = 5.37 K ohms
176 degrees F = 3.84 K ohms
194 degrees F = 2.80 K ohms

If the ACT & ECT are good, Check the o2 sensors.

Measuring the O2 sensor voltage at the computer will give you a good idea of how well they are working. The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a dark green/pink wire) and 43 (RH O2 with a dark blue/pink wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter.
The O2 sensor ground is in the wiring harness for the fuel injection wiring. I grounded mine to one of the intake manifold bolts

"When the mixture is lean, the exhaust gas has oxygen, about the same amount as the ambient air. So the sensor will generate less than .4 volt. Remember lean = less voltage.

" When the mixture is rich, there's less oxygen in the exhaust than in the ambient air , so voltage is generated between the two sides of the tip. The voltage is greater than .6 volt. Remember rich = more voltage.

Here's a tip: the newer the sensor, the more the voltage changes, swinging from as low as 0.1 volt to as much as 0.9 volt. As an oxygen sensor ages, the voltage changes get smaller and slower - the voltage change lags behind the change in exhaust gas oxygen.

Because the oxygen sensor generates its own voltage, never apply voltage and never measure resistance of the sensor circuit. To measure voltage signals, use an analog voltmeter with a high input impedance, at least 10 megohms. Remember, a digital voltmeter will average a changing voltage."
Charles O. Probst, Ford fuel Injection & Electronic Engine control