professional detailing, worth it IMO

Where in Ohio are you and where did you get the detailing done? I live in Euclid, which is just outside of Cleveland. I'd be interested in going to the shop you went to if it's close enough.

I'm down by Cincy...so a bit out of the question for you I think. lol

It's the Roush grille, it's stupid expensive but I got a good deal on it.

I like it, the only issue I have is the lower grill. It appears to have that fixed half grill on either side (honeycomb look) and I don't want a billet grill up top and that on the bottom. Or I've seen some billet lower grills but they go in the gap between the honeycomb, and that looks like a can of smashed ass. :bs:

• Sponsors (?)

I know all too well what you guys are talking about with the dang pollen, not to mention the sap :bang: I washed my car yesterday and went inside to eat some lunch, came back out and my car looked like complete crap just after an hour, covered in pollen, and friggin sap spots all over it :(

My car too has swirls, I use the two bucket method when washing it, I use a backpack leaf blower to dry it, and micro fiber towels or 100% cotton terry cloth to remove the wax, I even bought some Meguiars SwirlX which I was told would definitely remove the Swirls and after 3 applications to an area on my hood did nothing :notnice:

Looks like I am going to look for a good Detailer to do it for me, I think $100 is cheap, to get my car looking awesome again. One HUGE problem is, where I live, in the mountains, it seems no matter what time of year it is, the car NEVER stays clean for more than a few hours :bang:

I'm looking to invest in an overhead canopy or something like that.

Professional detailing is well worth paying for.

Back in 2001 I had my 2001 GT's engine detailed. Paid a pro to do it. Took almost a whole day and $125 or 150 (dont remember, it was a long time ago.:D)

When I picked it up I was amazed. The stang's engine look better than new:nice:. I had a chrome MAC Cold Air Inducion, that thing shined. He didnt use a pressure washer or a hose. It was all done by hand with moist towels and brushes.

After that I did the detailing to keep up the clean look. Got my money's worth. :D

Save yourself the money:

Griots random orbital buffer: $168
Griots Polish 3
Griots clay bar and spray
Griots Best of show polish

Wash car (I like zipwax)
Dry with california waterblad as you are washing
clay bar and spray
Griots polish 3....apply and then remove
Griots Best of show polish....apply, let sit 20 min. Apply second coat (dont remove first), let sit 20 min. Apply third coat (dont remove second), let sit 20 min and remove with microfiber towel.

Lots of work, but the results are amazing, to say the least.

Warning though, the griots polishes are NOT cheap.

My car too has swirls, I use the two bucket method when washing it, I use a backpack leaf blower to dry it, and micro fiber towels or 100% cotton terry cloth to remove the wax, I even bought some Meguiars SwirlX which I was told would definitely remove the Swirls and after 3 applications to an area on my hood did nothing :notnice:

Stop using the terry cloths on your paint, they are scratching it. What kind of mitt do you use? Do you use grit guards in your buckets?

Ok Nastystang I just read through all of your write up on detailing, I feel like a complete moron for doing it wrong all these years! Good info, will take much of it to heart, especially about the washing part.

Question, if you have a detail done, and then at some point go through a "good" automatic car wash (lots of soap, softer brushes, clear coat treatment etc as compared to the one at a gas station that just sucks) have you done all the detailing for nothing? No matter how good the auto wash is, will it ruin your wax job?

Just wondering as I am pondering getting my wife's SUV done, but she loves to go through the car wash. :(

Most car washes are going to use the 'wrong' dilution ratio for soap only because they care about getting the car clean. I would also never, ever, recommend going through a old school car wash that uses brushes. Find one that is a touchless but even than you're going to have the soap issue.