Progress Pics and a few questions.

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hey guys I have begun the great fun of assembling the engine for the last time and will be dropping it in tomorrow if I can get this one problem sorted out. I have painted the block ford dark blue the correct color, its just the flash on the stupid camera that makes it look so light. I also painted my engine bay and installed my hydraulic clutch system and will hook it up to the slave when we drop it all in. K I put the harmonic balancer on and guess what the damn thing has to touch the water pump. Now I want to know what the minimum clearance should be between the balancer and any other part I was going to go 1/8-1/4" whichever works so i can grind it off of the bottom of the water pump. It is just a stupid corner jutting out that is in the way. Also my old flexplate had a a little ring with holes in it for the bolts to go through Im guessing it is reinforcment since the flexplate is so thin. Will I need that on my flywheel for the T5 or not. And how do I bolt the flywheel on, do I need the counterweight lined up in any specific way or do i just put it on despite the location of the counterweight? Thanks and enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Firewall Painted.JPG
    Firewall Painted.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Sponsors (?)

That waterpump looks like it's seen better days.
Why not opt for a new alum. one. you might not have any clearance issues, and you dont have to worry about a 30 year old seal going out on you when you least expect it.
Easy to change it now, later it might not be so easy.

Awesome thanks guys. Sorry for all the questions but It's my first time putting one together. And Finally I am having a little trouble getting the pilot bearing in place can I use a hammer and lightly tap it in place? I also have the same question about the dowel pins for the flywheel. Can I just position them in a triangle and tap them in place, or are their specific locations for them?

It's a little fuzzy but I think I ended up using a socket and a hammer to get my pilot bearing in. Just go slow and easy. Also I think there's a little tool made for the job. I saw it once in my npd catalog.

I wish I was as far along as you are. My car isn't even wired yet, lol. If I could find a godd deal on one, I'd go 351 too. Keep us posted man. Awesome progress!

MrBobMarley said:
It's a little fuzzy but I think I ended up using a socket and a hammer to get my pilot bearing in. Just go slow and easy. Also I think there's a little tool made for the job. I saw it once in my npd catalog.

I wish I was as far along as you are. My car isn't even wired yet, lol. If I could find a godd deal on one, I'd go 351 too. Keep us posted man. Awesome progress!

I will try that, thanks for the kind words. I know the feeling it has been 6 months now and I hope to have it on the road by June. I remember when I took it apart in Dec. and planned to have just a simple H/C/I swap done by January. Ended up having to redo the whole block so I took her out, then a month later, "Why not do a T5 while I'm at it?", then another month later "Why not redo the engine bay while I'm at it?" Oh the good times, I always find something else to do and make me poorer.

So anyone know about the dowel pins for the flywheel yet?

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
I remember when I took it apart in Dec. and planned to have just a simple H/C/I swap done by January. Ended up having to redo the whole block so I took her out, then a month later, "Why not do a T5 while I'm at it?", then another month later "Why not redo the engine bay while I'm at it?" Oh the good times, I always find something else to do and make me poorer.

That is what is known among the old timers as "project scope creep".

BTW, I always replace water pumps when doing fresh motors. With all the money you have spent, it's kind of a weird place to cut corners. JMO...

Max Power said:
That is what is known among the old timers as "project scope creep".

BTW, I always replace water pumps when doing fresh motors. With all the money you have spent, it's kind of a weird place to cut corners. JMO...

I know but that thing has worked fine. When she goes bad I will get a new one. They aren't that hard it can be done in an hour so that is why I aint worried.

Well I got the tranny hooked up to her and she is hanging. We were so close to getting her in but we didn't extend the arm long enough becuase we were pounding on it with a hammer at 1 AM and the neighbors called and complained so now it is hanging in the garage and will be dropped in tomorrow. I wanted to check with the mounting plates that the motor mounts hook onto. I can't remembmer which side was facing the front. There is an offset so that it is an inch behind as opposed to if I swapped them they would be an inch in front. The mounting plates are basically an inch above the crossmember is that correct. Or should they be switched so that nothing is above the crossmember and the front side is hanging an inch out? I really need this question answered by tomorrow so I can do this properly.