Progress Thread Project PMOR: 97 Saleen S281 #19 build

Happy New Year everyone!

I have been slacking really bad and I do apologize.

@95steedamustang do you have any fingers left? :rlaugh:

So its the front fascias turn to get some love. If I remember right to just strip it the gel coat off was ~12hrs. I did have a request and an odd one at that for Kevin when he worked on this bumper and that was to leave the "beauty" marks on this front fascia. If you look at where the corner of the head light will go towards the center of the bumper you will see a small "rib", that is most likely left there from when it was pulled from the mold. This is the first and only front fascia from Saleen that I have seen where this was still there. Typically it is smooth and because of the unique nature, I wanted those left intact. It actually has those in a few other spots as well and Kevin agreed that with it being so unique we'd preserve them. He did eventually get all the gel coat off and was able to get it into epoxy primer after a few days. Once this was completed the next step would be to go through and do another round of blocking of the whole car and line everything up. Once the body gets its last round of primer on it, it will get put away for a while to cure before it gets checked over for shrinkage and any little imperfections corrected before paint.

IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0762.jpg
IMG_0775.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Slacker is back!

@95steedamustang as always is busy getting the body perfect. This time its getting the factory fender up to spec and fitted to the body correctly. Then eventually one more pass of primer on the whole car. Also still working on a color, so here is one option that is being considered.

IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0820.jpg
IMG_0833.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Wow! I had to put on sunglasses! Nice, reminds me of a Candy Apple Red Pontiac I had once. An appropriate interior would be in order I think.

Reactions: 1 users
Time to attack the engine bay. I will have the strut towers forwarded smoothed and leaving the rest as is, with a little touch up here and there as needed. While at it might as well fix the lower radiator core support.

IMG_1846.jpg
IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1849.jpg

Some more pictures of the engine bay work.

I've been slacking back on posting. I decided to start a business at the beginning of the year and it has really taken a lot of my spare time up. Don't worry though, it won't interrupt the build though. It is still being built as we speak.

IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1869.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg
IMG_1881.jpg
IMG_1882.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Some more pictures of the engine bay work.

I've been slacking back on posting. I decided to start a business at the beginning of the year and it has really taken a lot of my spare time up. Don't worry though, it won't interrupt the build though. It is still being built as we speak.

IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1869.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg
IMG_1881.jpg
IMG_1882.jpg
Your paint guy needs to fix that lower core support

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
So at this point of the build, the car went into storage to cure. When it comes out it'll be gone over with a fine tooth comb and and problem areas fixed and remaining little items finished up and prep for paint.

When is the hoped for completion date? I'm wondering if it will be you or grandkids enjoying it. I kid, I kid. Looking forward to the next step.
I actually have no goal for a completion date.

When I first met @95steedamustang to talk about him just completing the body work and paint, I found out we actually do body almost in a very similar fashion. My normal time line from anytime when I start doing body to when I'm ready to do paint is ~18 months. I account for a 6-8 month time frame of the car just sitting in primer to allow for shrinkage. His process is almost identical to mine which was awesome for me. That is why this seems like it's taking a long time, because in reality it really does, but I'm also not posting in a "live" fashion either. These photos can be anywhere from 6-12 months old.