Fox Proper way to change a harmonic balancer?

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
Can someone walk me through the proper way of pulling and installing a harmonic balancer? Is it safe to use an Impact to remove it? What special tool kit do I need to rent to do the job (harmonic balancer puller, installer, or both)? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I got tired of renting and bought the remove/install kit at HF when if was on sale.....
Engine In the car? Put in gear, tighten the emergency brake and take a large breaker bar to it.... If you have another person, have them push on the brake pedal.... Its only a 90 ftlb torque.....

Last edited:
I always use an impact to remove the bolt. Just get a harmonic balancer/install kit. Some auto parts stores rent them out, but I bought one years ago and it has been worth every penny.

As far as torquing the bolt, I put the car in gear and chock the wheels with the e brake on while I torque it. Make sure to use some red loctite.

Reactions: 1 user
I bought this one in 2015...quality piece and made in the US.
I've only used it once since but it was worth every penny...besides I'm a bit of a tool junkie.

Mine is the Precision Performance Harmonic Dampener/Installer #G1205

not sure its the same one now, or that it's made in US, but here's what's on their website:

0.jpg
0.jpg

Impact is ok to remove the crank bolt.... Use a puller / installer and hand tools to remove and install it, its not a $200 junk yard ls....... Good time to put a new seal in also.

Reactions: 1 users