Pulled The Trigger On First Mods

NJBob

Dec 18, 2014
NJ
Ok, Its been 6 weeks with my new Ruby Red, premium 50 anniversary GT. I love this car. My last stang was a 2001....that I replaced in 2006 with some foreign cars.

I have about 1000 miles and did my first oil change at 830 miles..8 Quarts of oil for those of you who don't know.

So I have been wanting to upgrade the exhaust and was looking at cat backs, but most are to loud (Gibson) or Drone (Magnaflow) and the Ford which I like is over $1300. So when I saw the Roush Axle back was available and love the way it sounded. I did my research. I wanted a better sound but I also want performance. So I called Roush and asked if it would work with a Resonator Delete (They had no comment). Then I spoke with Ford Racing and they said their axle back would work with the resonator delete just fine. So I figure let me get the sound I want Roush and then the performance Ford X pipe....

So today I ordered the Roush Axle Back; the ford X pipe is back ordered (Missed it by 2 days) and also ordered the Roush white shifter ball.

Then I went out to K&N and ordered the new Direct replacement High Flow filter from them. I'm a firm believer the stock box is not to bad and the high flow filter will work just fine for now (worked great in my 2001).

I'll let you know my results as they happen...

Regards
Bob

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Can't wait to hear what you came up with as a result. I actually just came from the Roush website looking for a cat back.

It seems like the resonator deleted systems all start off deep and clean, but then go into a loud, raspy finish. It looks like Roush is going to come out with an active exhaust system like the new Corvettes. If they do, I might have to go with that.

My lower-tech vision is the resonator delete with a mixture of a 2-3 chamber Flowmaster from the SN95 era. Like a shortened 3 chamber so its louder than a 3 chamber, but a little quieter than the 2 to help eliminate some rasp. Not sure there's enough space for that though.

Stopped by the dealer yesterday to pick up my other key and the salesman I picked it up from took me out to his GT which had the Boss side exhaust so I could hear it. Sounded pretty good. He also had me watch the videos of the exhaust in my car with the premium audio. What a difference. I must take back the raspy comments above because that must have been because I was watching on my iMac. Way different through a legit system.

Highly recommend listening through your stereo to get a better idea of the tone.

Installed the Roush Axle Back this morning. I'm very impressed. First I ordered from CJ Pony. They shipped the same day and I got it as scheduled. The packing was great and the item arrived perfect. The quality was outstanding. The tips must have weighed 4 pounds each and the chrome was exceptional.

I was not prepared for what I heard. This exhaust woke up the beast. The tone was deep and powerful. When getting on the throttle I thought I was in a finely tuned street race car (Which I am). Their was no drone at any RPM. Its louder than I thought but vey livable for a daily driver. The car is very well insulated so its not overbearing when the windows are up. But let me tell you I was driving around in 15 degree weather this morning just listening to that sweet, sweet sound that is Roush Mustang.

I highly recommend this system, and if you want more, just add the ford X pipe...

Sorry I only have a tail pipe pick for now. When I get a chance I'll take more pics and around video (it will be from my iPhone as I have no other equipment)

also people should be very careful with the cut. If you do too much the tips will be at an angle.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sorry I only have a tail pipe pick for now. When I get a chance I'll take more pics and around video (it will be from my iPhone as I have no other equipment)

also people should be very careful with the cut. If you do too much the tips will be at an angle.
image.jpg
image.jpg
how much of a pain in the butt was it to cut the existing exhaust system? This was what deterred me from other brands and lead me to a complete cat back system.

how much of a pain in the butt was it to cut the existing exhaust system? This was what deterred me from other brands and lead me to a complete cat back system.

I didn't do it, I went over to the local tire/brake/muffler guy. It took them less than 1 hr. I would have done it myself if I wa in a little better shape. Cutting was pretty easy with a sawzall took about 1 minute a side

Some additional observations - I found drone between 1250 and 1500 when accelerating. Also I noticed I'm getting power quicker (I'm at 2500rpms) much faster than before. Not sure if it a placebo effect or real