• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

Pully's or Gears

  • Thread starter Thread starter divad82
  • Start date Start date Jun 14, 2010
D

divad82

New Member
Oct 25, 2006
53
0
0
Jun 14, 2010
#1
  • Jun 14, 2010
  • #1
Im going to eventually put both but what should I buy first UDP's or 3:73 gears. What would you guys do first? Thanks.
 

bullitt 736

Member
Jan 16, 2004
120
0
17
Magnolia, Texas
Jun 14, 2010
#2
  • Jun 14, 2010
  • #2
gears!
 

Undisputed

New Member
Dec 4, 2009
306
0
0
Westchester County NY
Jun 14, 2010
#3
  • Jun 14, 2010
  • #3
divad82 said:
Im going to eventually put both but what should I buy first UDP's or 3:73 gears. What would you guys do first? Thanks.
Click to expand...

Hands down 3.73's or 4.10 will CHANGE THE WHOLE CAR!!
 

05blues

New Member
Oct 23, 2008
44
0
0
Clovis, NM
Jun 15, 2010
#4
  • Jun 15, 2010
  • #4
I have gears and pullies and I will tell you that the pullies are almost unnoticeable. To me, for the amount of time it took to put them in and what the pullies would cost if you bought them (I got them practically free from a friend) they are definately not worth either. They might help a little with gas mileage and free up about 5hp. The gears on the other hand (I did 4:10's) were a HUGE gain as expected and are every bit worth the time/money. My gas mileage only dropped by 1.5-2mpg on average and I have an insane amount of torque and especially a big increase in 3rd gear. You might want to put that $200-$400 towards something that will give you a better outcome than the pullies. If I hadn't gotten such a ridiculous deal on them I would be kicking myself over and over.
 

SpartaPerformance

10 Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
2,517
61
89
Long Island NY
Jun 15, 2010
#5
  • Jun 15, 2010
  • #5
I have pulley's and I love them but consider what your plans are for the car. If you plan on a positive displacement supercharger then don't bother.
 

Casey4s

New Member
Sep 1, 2007
147
0
0
Woodbridge, VA
Jun 16, 2010
#6
  • Jun 16, 2010
  • #6
Gears are a real seat of the pants acceleration improvement that pulleys won't give you. Do both, but Gears first. (4.10s)
 

Sparty92

Member
Jul 30, 2007
430
5
19
Detroit Burbs
Jun 19, 2010
#7
  • Jun 19, 2010
  • #7
I wish people would post what they drive (stick or slushbox) when they ask gear questions, as both versions are 5-speeds. It would help out the casual read a whole lot more.
 
D

divad82

New Member
Oct 25, 2006
53
0
0
Jun 20, 2010
#8
  • Jun 20, 2010
  • #8
Sorry Sparty, I drive a manual (stick)
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
K
Drivetrain '87 5.0 Installing New Ring Gear and Pinion - Pattern Questions
  • karhoot
  • Apr 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
487
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 9, 2026
Mindseye007
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
209
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
R
Efi to car pcv HELP !
  • rgrendell
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
467
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 2, 2026
Noobz347
Engine Which fan clutch ?
  • AnthonyA1234
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
19
Views
430
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 19, 2026
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?