put chrome intake tube back on...and questions

RysRed96GT

I like it FURRY!!!
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
Pasadena, MD
a few weeks ago i had problems with running rich and couldnt figure out why. i changed the O2's , plugs, wires, and cleaned everything. turns out it was my dynamic racing intake tube, since i put my stock tube back on twice and the CEL went away (well, it stayed off after clearing).

yesterday i decided to modify my chrome tube so it would work better. this is basically your average chrome tube, like the MAC ones and BBK, but it only goes between the throttle body and MAF. i think my problem before was that i had the rubber clamp seal back way farther than it should. so far that it was flush with the end of the tubing and the MAF unit was actually between the metal tube and the rubber clamp. i decided to cut the tube shorter so there's more "open rubber" between the end of the tube and the maf. i also modified the IAT seat so it would sit down in farther (it was only a little more than half in before). so far it drives great. throttle feels snappier and maybe a little more pull. doesnt feel worse though. in general the intake tube is shorter than stock and is straight with no bends.

my question is...most of these intake tubes i've seen are the same diameter througout. the stock tube actually gets larger as it heads towards the MAF. would this effect performance in anyway? or would the smaller diameter equate to more velocity of air going through? or would it not even matter enough? so far no CEL's have been thrown and car runs great.

dsc00006_small.jpg

dsc00007_small.jpg

dsc00008_small.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The tube modification looks good. IMO, the tubes don't do all that much to make a difference either way as per dynos that have been done with CAIs in the past. My throttle response felt better with my densecharger TB tube, but I think that is because the air going through is going through cleaner - one less turn and no waffle on the edges. Engine bay looks good with the chrome tube, but what happened to the pony on the intake?

LI98GTStang said:
The tube modification looks good. IMO, the tubes don't do all that much to make a difference either way as per dynos that have been done with CAIs in the past. My throttle response felt better with my densecharger TB tube, but I think that is because the air going through is going through cleaner - one less turn and no waffle on the edges. Engine bay looks good with the chrome tube, but what happened to the pony on the intake?
thats the 2000 P/p plenum that came with my heads, it never had it on there.

is ur densecharger diameter the same throughout? or does it get larger down by the MAF? my concern was the size difference having an effect.

Size difference won't have too much affect. The T/B is still the restriction in the system, and unless a significant step change occurs I can't see any major frictional losses in a smooth pipe. Any pressure should be recovered so long as transitions are smooth.