• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Put my 5 leave reverse eyes in tonight :)

  • Thread starter Thread starter 67Thunder
  • Start date Start date Dec 6, 2005

67Thunder

New Member
Jun 19, 2005
101
0
0
Vancouver, Canada
Dec 6, 2005
#1
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #1
Finally I am actually starting to put the car together. I had to cut the old u bolts and shckles off with a cutting wheel.

It was a little tricky installing the HD shackles on the drivers side, but I got it in after thinking about it for a bit and removing the bushings and sleeve.

The reverse eye springs are about 2 1/2" lower than the old springs (unloaded)

I also have a 1" lowering block, which I may or may not need

I should be able to drop the rear end on the car tomorrow or wednesday. The 31 spline axles came in, and I will pick them up tomorrow.

If I can get the bearings pressed on and new seals pressed on the housing ends, tomorrow... then I should be able to see what my ride height will be
 
8

86bluecobra

Advanced Member
Dec 20, 2004
4,265
12
69
B.C. Canada
Dec 6, 2005
#2
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #2
nice to see some canadians on this forum
 
8

86bluecobra

Advanced Member
Dec 20, 2004
4,265
12
69
B.C. Canada
Dec 6, 2005
#3
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #3
i live on the sunshine coast btw
 

HistoricMustang

Active Member
Apr 11, 2003
2,359
0
46
Confederate States of America
Dec 6, 2005
#4
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #4
67Thunder said:
The reverse eye springs are about 2 1/2" lower than the old springs (unloaded)

I also have a 1" lowering block, which I may or may not need
Click to expand...

This is the same set up that is under my car. You may want to consider adding a wedge to keep rear end angle good.............Mine came from Speedway.

My lowering blocks are polycarbonate - but that is another whole story!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com
 
S

slepe67

New Member
Mar 30, 2005
78
0
0
Dec 6, 2005
#5
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #5
Aw ha, Historic changed the ol avitar!!! nice! That's not the Mrs is it? If so, sorry Anywho, what are these wedges you speak of, and how much does the pinion angle change? I know on 4 by 4 pickups with huge lift, this is a problem, but does it make a difference for a hot rod?
 

iskwezm

10 Year Member
May 24, 2005
4,159
20
79
Rowland Heights,California
Dec 6, 2005
#6
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #6
slepe67 said:
I know on 4 by 4 pickups with huge lift, this is a problem, but does it make a difference for a hot rod?
Click to expand...
yes,its pretty important,from breaking driveline parts to adding wheelhop
 

HistoricMustang

Active Member
Apr 11, 2003
2,359
0
46
Confederate States of America
Dec 6, 2005
#7
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #7
slepe67 said:
Aw ha, Historic changed the ol avitar!!! nice! That's not the Mrs is it? If so, sorry Anywho, what are these wedges you speak of, and how much does the pinion angle change? I know on 4 by 4 pickups with huge lift, this is a problem, but does it make a difference for a hot rod?
Click to expand...

It is her twin sister.............

Go to: www.speedwaymotors.com and plug in part #916-433-angle. They cost $19.95 and with your set up pay the $20 bucks to be safe.

I can hear the hypocrisy thing now from Rust...........

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com



Suggestion. I would stay away from aluminum lowering blocks because of the curved nature of the early model springs. They may fracture. I learned the hard way! The "wedges" will form to the spring curve.
 

Attachments

  • wedges3yq.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 139

fasttback

New Member
Apr 16, 2005
471
0
0
Northern CA
Dec 6, 2005
#8
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #8
HistoricMustang said:
It is her twin sister.............

Go to: www.speedwaymotors.com and plug in part #916-433-angle. They cost $19.95 and with your set up pay the $20 bucks to be safe.

I can hear the hypocrisy thing now from Rust...........

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com



Suggestion. I would stay away from aluminum lowering blocks because of the curved nature of the early model springs. They may fracture. I learned the hard way! The "wedges" will form to the spring curve.
Click to expand...

I see they sell these in 2 and 4 degree angles, but how high are they or how much will they lower your rearend?
 

Attachments

  • wedges3yq.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 157

67Thunder

New Member
Jun 19, 2005
101
0
0
Vancouver, Canada
Dec 6, 2005
#9
  • Dec 6, 2005
  • #9
I was reading the Mustangs Plus catalogue, and they actually reverse the rear spring eye as well, so the basic pinion angle does not change.

That being said, when I get the 5 speed TKO installed, I am going to check the pinion angle again, carefully.

I'll save the link for the perch wedge though, unless I decide to run the 1" drop block I have through the belt sander.

After work I got the axle seals in the housind pressed, the bearings pressed on the axles and the studs installed.

Tonight, I am going to try and install the rear end, except for the brakes
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Drivetrain T-5 transmission issue
  • Ch3No2
  • Jul 11, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
446
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2025
2000xp8
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
286
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
Progress Thread The Mach Returns - Update/build thread
  • squeak93
  • Feb 20, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
17
Views
750
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Yesterday at 8:00 PM
squeak93
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
362
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?