Putting gauges just below radio - anyone else done this?

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Greetings,
I want to add accurate gauges to my '91 and I was thinking that the little bin just below my radio is pretty useless and could be replaced in favor of a gauge cluster. I bought a piece of sheet metal and plan to make a panel the same size as the bin face and then cut 3 2" holes in a panel. I am going to tack weld brackets on the back so that it screws to the radio the same way as the bin does.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

You can buy a plate (prefabbed) pretty cheap as I recall.

I kinda helped a guy do this on his stang - it turned out very nice. I think the gauges are a little tough to eyeball peripherally though.

Good luck.

I personally would go with gauges on top, radio, then ac controls. You could check out Gaugeplates.com! I don't know if their stuff is any good.

installcomplete2.jpg

custompanel.jpg

You could also see what this guy at http://www.speedofsoundllc.com would charge. I've seen a few of his write-ups :nice: He could probably make you one out of something better than plastic.

Mansonozz has his radio plate IIRC. Dave has posted up pics of it in the past. Very nice stuff.

Alan's products have been featured in most of the big stang mags. :nice:

I am in the process of making one myself. I am going to leave the gauges on the bottom - even though it's not the most visible location. I don't really plan to stare at them but rather use them to double check my dash gauges (water temp, oil pressure, voltage).

Here is the plan/progress:
I got a sheet of 16 gauge steel and a 2" hole saw. I laid out the panel to be the same size as the bin I am removing. After laying out and cutting 3 holes I cut the perimeter with my dremmel cut off wheel (to avoid deformation caused by a jig saw). I cleaned up the edges with a bench grinder, file and finally a diamond stone. Since the top of the bin has a flange that tucks under the radio, I welded one on to my panel. I then welded on a couple of straps and bent them to attach to the radio chassis where the bin originally attached. I will prime and sand several times to get a nice smooth surface. Finally, I will clean up the part and paint it with black textured paint so it will match the stipple grain of the rest of the center panel. Personally, I prefer the 'it could have come from the factory that way' look that this execution will give me.

Let us know how this works out for you. I am thinking of doing something similar however I don't want the extra gauges there so was thinking of doing a little larger storage tray instead. The guy at Gaugeplates.com sells his stuff on Ebay and I talked to him and he will custom make what I want. Only problem as you stated is it is plastic which may look cheesy - thats what I am afraid of but curious how your project will come out.

Thanks

I made myself one out of 1/4" thick MDF. I used the old plastic one that everyone has to make a template, then cut out the holes for the radio and gauge. That way you can put the gauge exactly where you want it. Not hard to do.

I then had it covered in the same material that the rest of my interior is done in. I wanted something to match the rest of the interior and did not want any of those plastic pieces that are already made.

Dave (Mansonnoz) also has a very nice looking piece. I am sure he can post some pics as well to give you an idea of what is possible.

View attachment 342901

View attachment 342903

I made myself one out of 1/4" thick MDF. I used the old plastic one that everyone has to make a template, then cut out the holes for the radio and gauge. That way you can put the gauge exactly where you want it. Not hard to do.

I then had it covered in the same material that the rest of my interior is done in. I wanted something to match the rest of the interior and did not want any of those plastic pieces that are already made.

Dave (Mansonnoz) also has a very nice looking piece. I am sure he can post some pics as well to give you an idea of what is possible.

View attachment 342895

View attachment 342897

Man...your interior looks sweet!
Nice work. :nice:

View attachment 342893

that bezel you made for the radio looks great. You should sell them.

View attachment 342883

View attachment 342885

That picture makes me sad that my mustang will never have an interior again. It's a good thing I plan to get another one day. :) The other two pictures posted look very out of place to me amidst stock interior pieces. I personally have to question the visibility of gauges in the radio area, and wonder if it's worth it?

I agree with you that the visibility is not the best. When I redid my guages I put the two guages that didn;t need the most visibility below the radio: Fuel Level and Volts. I can see them if I look, but I didn't want any important guages there.
WES

I agree with you that the visibility is not the best. When I redid my guages I put the two guages that didn;t need the most visibility below the radio: Fuel Level and Volts. I can see them if I look, but I didn't want any important guages there.
WES

That is why my A/F gauge is there. I can see the digital number easily, but would not want an analog gauge down there.