Putting HEADS back on tomorrow....any tips or things i should check?

95CobraMike

Apr 12, 2004
Lima OH
well yesterday i took my heads off AGAIN to see if i could find this mystery cooling issue that i have been having for a while....
what would be some things to check / replace while im in there so i am sure it will not have cooling issues again??

• Sponsors (?)

Look carefully at the head gaskets. Is it separating between the cylinders? Was your cooling system becoming pressurized? I had the same problem. While I was in there I replaced the head bolts with ARP studs. You might want to check the roller rockers to see if they need adjustments also... Good luck!

95CobraMike said:
how or what adjustments could you make to your RR's?
If i remember correctly you still have your stock RR so no adjustments can be made and your heads were recently cleaned up. So I would just check the block deck with a straight edge to make sure it's "true". For a better torque result I would switch to head studs instead of bolts. Studs torque through the entire stud instead of just the head bolt "head".

found the problem BTW....
6th cylinder top of the cylinder i had a hold in the gasket....
MLS HG's have 3 layers 2 thin metal layers and one thicker layer....the hole was in the Head side of the gasket in the thinner sheet of metal. i could see exhaust discoloration on the Head right under where the hole was....so that tells me exhaust was getting into my coolant passages.....

Do cometics have a life time warrentee?
cause i need a new one.... grrr