Pypes Exhaust

• Sponsors (?)

The cat-back RULES; the X-pipe is :notnice: . The reason for the X-pipe sucking is because there's no hangers to hold it up by the tranny crossmember, so you'll inevitably wind up jacking up the thing and re-tightening the midpipe flange bolts every week or two. Trust me, this is one of the several headaches I was dealing with when I was running a UPR X-pipe on my notch, which is of exactly the same design as the Pypes X-pipe.

Again, however, their Violator cat-back absolutely RULES. :nice:

The cat-back RULES; the X-pipe is :notnice: . The reason for the X-pipe sucking is because there's no hangers to hold it up by the tranny crossmember, so you'll inevitably wind up jacking up the thing and re-tightening the midpipe flange bolts every week or two. Trust me, this is one of the several headaches I was dealing with when I was running a UPR X-pipe on my notch, which is of exactly the same design as the Pypes X-pipe.

I've always wondered why lots of people say this.I retightin my Upr x pipe
only once after each time I take it off, the only to make sure its tight and it always is.Bad thing is that the cats hits the tannys crossmember:mad: .. so it hangs really low.

Those were the other two problems I had with my UPR X-pipe - the cats were welded about 2" too far back, and the thing just hangs too friggin' low to be practical. The lowest-hanging point of the system (for me) became the connection between the midpipe and the flow tubes at the flanges because gravity and plain daily driving would cause it to keep sagging down to within 2" of the pavement. I'd have to loosen the bolts, push the thing back up into place with a jack, and then re-tighten them. I tried lock washers, lock nuts, Thredlock, voodoo curses, etc. ... nothing would hold that stupid thing up in place for more than a week. Finally just gave in and bought a Jeg's off-road X-pipe, bolted it up, and never had a problem with it, since then. I just keep the UPR pipe around for testing once every 2 years, and the very day it passes smog, I take that stupid thing off and put my Jeg's X back on there.

The Pypes X-pipe is almost identical in design to the UPR pipe, hence my expectation that it'll have the same problem(s).

Only problems I've ever had with Pypes Violator mufflers was that mine were the early version (got 'em for $80 a pair at the WFC) which were about 2" longer than the regular production muffs they now sell, so I had to trim my Dynomax cat-back by a couple of inches. Well, that, and it's hard to stay out of the throttle sometimes because of the sound, so my gas mileage has suffered a bit... :D

I don't technically have the cat-back, but the design is essentially the same as what I'm running - 2.5" Violator muffs with stainless tails. The main thing is that they don't weld the flow tubes to the mufflers like other cat-backs (*cough* Flowmaster *cough*), because that practice tends to create a lot of fitment headaches. Can't honestly verify 100% that their fitment goes as well as that of others such as, say, Dynomax, but I have yet to read of any complaints anyone's had with their cat-backs.

I bought the pipes offroad x pipe and I have never had to tighten the bolts back up.....I have about 14000miles on it now and when I installed it I just put some locktite on it and have not had a problem out of it and it fits snug above the subframe rails

Just installed pypes shortys, offroad x-pipe and catback. Good price, and fitment is decent. But i couldnt stand the sound of this thing after. Sounds like he had cherry bombs on it. My own opinion, the sound is terrible. ANd the main reason i am staying away. Maybe with a catted pipe it might sound better. but its a great price and its stainless. I didnt have a problem with it hanging low, its on a 1991 Mustang GT.

It's a thing of taste. That, or perhaps a difference in setups. Doesn't sound like glasspacks at all on mine, but I'm running a slightly different X-pipe and stock headers. Mine has a bit of a hollow sound to it, a-la Spintechs and Flowmasters, but more of a roar at WOT and just a bit of drone at 1,700 RPM (my cruising RPM's are between 2,000 and 2,300 RPM with 4.10's, so no drone for me). :shrug:

Cherry Bombs/Glasspacks have that snappy/poppy sound to 'em at all speeds and RPM's, and they sound like a wet elephant fart in slow-motion at WOT - even Dynomax Bullets don't sound that horrible.

Got any sound clips/video of yours with the full Pypes system? It'd be interesting to hear if it's that significantly different than a Violator cat-back only or pieced-together setup. I'd like to post some of my own, but I can never quite come up with a means of getting good sound quality from a video recording...

It's a thing of taste. That, or perhaps a difference in setups. Doesn't sound like glasspacks at all on mine, but I'm running a slightly different X-pipe and stock headers. Mine has a bit of a hollow sound to it, a-la Spintechs and Flowmasters, but more of a roar at WOT and just a bit of drone at 1,700 RPM (my cruising RPM's are between 2,000 and 2,300 RPM with 4.10's, so no drone for me). :shrug:

Cherry Bombs/Glasspacks have that snappy/poppy sound to 'em at all speeds and RPM's, and they sound like a wet elephant fart in slow-motion at WOT - even Dynomax Bullets don't sound that horrible.

Got any sound clips/video of yours with the full Pypes system? It'd be interesting to hear if it's that significantly different than a Violator cat-back only or pieced-together setup. I'd like to post some of my own, but I can never quite come up with a means of getting good sound quality from a video recording...

You should make a new video of yours... :drool:

I just put the pypes system on my 88. With the pypes o/r x it was way too loud, so I put a catted x on and it sounds great. I've had lots of people say its the best sounding exhaust they've heard. I will agree that the pypes x is a pain to get just right,

I've heard a lot of greta tthings about the Pypes catback, and I'm 99% sure I'm gonna get it. But does it come already assembled or in pieces? Because on 50resto, they make it seem like its already pieced together

I got my catback in and installed today. Everything seems great except I was shorted two bolts and recieved the wrong instructions. I got two bolts at Advance Auto and they post all their catback instructions online so no worries there.

My driver side is pretty good but my passenger side fit is still iffy. Ran out of light today so Im going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can make it fit better. What size tires are you guys running? I have 03 Cobra wheels on fox length axles with a 275 DR and my passenger side tail pipe is very close, im going to make another thread on that though.

I'll post a vid tomorrow, its QUIET!

It's quiet? :scratch: Which way did you install the mufflers? The Violators are reversible, actually, so if you put the openings of the louvers pointing upstream, it'll run quieter. Hope you didn't tighten things down too hard on the clamps, as you might want to pull the muffs and flip 'em, if that's the case.