Pypes Exhaust

Muststang

Jul 18, 2010
Ohio
I purchased the whole package for my 94. It has the headers, x-pipe, and the 304 stainless exhaust system with the 3" tips. Everything else went in fine but the exhaust system is kicking my ass right now. If anyone else has one how much did you have to cut off of the pipe that goes between the x-pipe and the muffler?

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Pypes X-pipe and Violator cat back system. I didn't want the tail pipes sticking out like the stock ones did so I had to cut off about 2" or so.

I got the violator cat back with the 3" tips and for some reason the pipe on the passenger side of the car tends to touch or is at least really close to the fuel tank. My concern are the hangers that go on the tips. They're both identical and point the exact same direction. Is it possible that they're suppost to be mirror images of each other?

IIRC on the stock cat-back,the passenger muffler is just a tad longer than the driver side muffler. They did this to avoid any drone from the exhaust.

You may have to have different length tail-pipe sections where the extend from the muffler, before they go over the axle. To achieve the clearance needed around the tank.

My .02

I got the violator cat back with the 3" tips and for some reason the pipe on the passenger side of the car tends to touch or is at least really close to the fuel tank. My concern are the hangers that go on the tips. They're both identical and point the exact same direction. Is it possible that they're suppost to be mirror images of each other?

I had the same problem with mine, the passenger side dont really hang all the way in the hangers and the front hanger is pointed back and the back one is pointed to the front. IIRC i took a block of wood and rubber mallet and beat the muffler on the flow tube some to get it to pull it all forward some to get it away from the tank. seems like i bent the hanger a little also to get it where i wanted it.

The X-pipe can be propped right at the 'X' literally pushed until it touches the car. Once the system is tight and you remove the prop, it will drop about 1.5" with good clearance. Loosen the catback up. Think and work from the back to the front. Try and get the tailpipes and tips where you want and where they clear properly and then twist the flow tubes until they match up with the X-pipe. Twisting the mufflers slightly also can help. Sometimes you need to walk away and come back and then it's like a puzzle you couldn't figure out and this time the pieces just fall into place. The flow tubes are purposely made a little bit long to fit various applications. You probably need to shorten them to avoid pushing them too far into the mufflers.

arise....

for the flow tubes (muffler to mid-pipe)...they have bends, now does that mean the flow tube should be twisted to a certain position (bend facing driver side or passenger side)? i just installed the pypes violator catback w/3" tips. tips hang past the bumper on my 92 LX about a quarter to maybe a half inch...is this normal? also the bend on the passenger side tailpipe that goes around the fuel tank cover is very close/touching slightly...I cant maneuver it anymore to get it to where i want it (the tailpipe touching the fuel tank cover), any tips on correcting this?