• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Quad shocks question

  • Thread starter Thread starter ROLLIN5.0
  • Start date Start date Sep 14, 2005

ROLLIN5.0

New Member
Nov 19, 2004
135
0
0
Tulsa, OK
Sep 14, 2005
#1
  • Sep 14, 2005
  • #1
Well, a couple weeks ago I decided to put stock springs back on my car, because I had enough of the beating it was giving me. So, I get new shocks/struts at the same time. I swap everything out, only to find that the "Eibach" springs the previous owner installed (along with his Eibach stickers on the back window) were actually stock springs with 2.5 wraps cut off. Anyways, when I was doing the back I discovered that the little shocks back there are shot. They have no rebound whatsoever. Push them all the way in, they stay there, ect. Well, all the stores were closed by this time, so I finish up with what I had. The car rides a LOT nicer (there's actually some weight transfer going on), and everything as far as that goes, but I've noticed something a little weird. If I'm just cruising along at a low RPM, and I hit about 1/2 throttle real quick, the car kind of jerks to the left for a split second, and then it's fine. It's so fast that the car really doesn't even move left, I can just feel it. It's really hard to explain. I'm wondering if the rear axle is walking out on me a little bit or something. Would these shocks being worn out cause that? I have checked back over everything that I installed, re-torqued, ect, and the car has been aligned. Also, I can see it being a problem already, so what do I call these things when I go to the parts store, so they can find them on the computer.
Brandon
 

bubba-dough

Active Member
Dec 28, 2004
1,044
2
38
Indiana
Sep 14, 2005
#2
  • Sep 14, 2005
  • #2
axle dampers are what they are called they are $15 at napa

EDIT: the Napa # is either 94107 or 94032 I can't remember which one was the quad and which one was the regular shock. $13 each. I just looked at my old reciept where I bought all shocks, struts and quad shocks.
 

ROLLIN5.0

New Member
Nov 19, 2004
135
0
0
Tulsa, OK
Sep 14, 2005
#3
  • Sep 14, 2005
  • #3
Thank you. I'll head down there this afternoon. Do you think they could be the cause of the issue I described?
Brandon
 

yellowstang1994

New Member
Sep 9, 2004
338
0
0
Sep 14, 2005
#4
  • Sep 14, 2005
  • #4
I'm not totally sure... But, my car has been doing the same thing recently sort of. When I full throttle it, the whole car will feel like it wants to pull off the side of the road. It's not really that i'm loosing control or nothing, rather it feels like the whole car is "shifting" or "leaning" towards that way, lol. If that makes any sense what I just said? I have a pair of the axle dampers in my room for a while now, I just need to find a good day to install them when the garage isn't being used up. But let me know if that fixes your problem?
 

94-302-vert

Active Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,947
2
36
NE CT
Sep 14, 2005
#5
  • Sep 14, 2005
  • #5
I woudl suggest to check your UCA bushings as these control your side to side movement of the rear end, or at least the majority of it. My car did the same thing until I did bushings.
 

ROLLIN5.0

New Member
Nov 19, 2004
135
0
0
Tulsa, OK
Sep 14, 2005
#6
  • Sep 14, 2005
  • #6
I'll change the dampers out, and check the bushings while I'm under there. The rubber bushings on the dampers are all cracked up, and rotting, so I'm sure the rest of them are too. Who has a complete bushing kit for our cars?
Brandon
edit: I plan on doing UCA's/LCA's soon anyways. They should come with new bushings, right?
 

MysteryMachine

Active Member
Jun 21, 2003
1,835
2
39
Parkesburg, PA
Sep 14, 2005
#7
  • Sep 14, 2005
  • #7
yes you will get all the bushing with new arms except the axle bushing where the upper attaches to the axle

Energy has a bushing kit that has like every bushing on the car
 

95strokerPSU

Member
Jul 29, 2004
986
1
19
Sacramento from Philly
Sep 14, 2005
#8
  • Sep 14, 2005
  • #8
MysteryMachine said:
yes you will get all the bushing with new arms except the axle bushing where the upper attaches to the axle

Energy has a bushing kit that has like every bushing on the car
Click to expand...

Not sure about any other brands, but the Steeda HD Uppers that I bought did come with axel bushings.

Different brands might or might not include them so check it out so you don't get two sets.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
169
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
G
Resolved Smoking Wiring Issue After GT40 Head Swap
  • Grapes
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
456
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 22, 2026
Grapes
G
Electrical problem plug in the drivers kick panel
  • Mindseye007
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
167
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 16, 2026
Mindseye007
Electrical Code 29 again
  • Creomod
  • Jul 31, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
278
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 3, 2026
Creomod
N
Fox Street Suspension Build Advice
  • NYFox
  • Jan 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
376
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 28, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?